BONFIRE NIGHT 2018: What firework displays can you see in Weston-super-Mare?
- Credit: citizenside.com
Fireworks will fly high into the sky above Weston this weekend to celebrate Bonfire Night.
People will gather at sports and recreational grounds around the area to watch the magnificent displays of colour while enjoying some food around a warm bonfire.
The annual Bonfire Night celebration will remember the day of the failed Gunpowder Plot of 1605 when Guy Fawkes and his comrades attempted to blow up the House of Lords.
To celebrate King James I surviving the assassination attempt, the people of London lit bonfires around the capital to mark the event and Fawkes’ capture.
Here are the events taking place in and around Weston:
? 1st Kewstoke Scout Group will be boosting funds at its Big Bang display on Friday, with hot food, candy floss, sweets and bar. The village hall event starts at 6.30pm.
? Two of the biggest displays in the town will take place on Saturday – one at Weston Cricket Club, in Devonshire Road, with gates opening at 5.30pm and the other at Puxton Park, in Hewish, where award-winning pyrotechnic experts Fire Magic will wow the crowds. There will also be children’s rides, a hog roast and barbecue from 5pm.
- 1 Weston's bodybuilding world champion dismisses misconceptions
- 2 Weston town centre improvement works to be 'finished in weeks'
- 3 PICTURES: Winter Gardens Christmas fayre
- 4 New community fridge opens in the Sovereign Centre
- 5 John Crockford-Hawley column: A Bridge Too Far?
- 6 Home gets illuminated with Christmas lights for charity
- 7 Charity farm commits to supporting people in need
- 8 Appeal after biker hospitalised in crash
- 9 A370 to close this evening for first of 10 nights of roadworks
- 10 Weston MP tells Boris Johnson UK childcare is among 'most unaffordable'
? Locking Primary School, in Meadow Drive, will also host its event on the same night, with gates opening at 6.30pm.
? Fire Magic will put on an amazing show at Weston Rugby Club, in Sunnyside Road, on Sunday at 5.30pm.
? Burnham’s fireworks will light up the sky over the beach at 6.30pm the same evening.
? Crowds will swarm the ever popular Hornets Rugby Club display on Bonfire Night itself (Monday) with its Hutton Moor Road gates opening at 6pm.
? Christ Church Primary School presents its fireworks the same night, with gates opening at 6pm and display at 7.15pm.
? Hutton Football Club, based at the scout hut off St. Mary’s Road, is also having one then, with gates opening at 6.30pm for a game of beat the goalie, stalls, barbecue, bar and beer raffle. The main event is at 8pm.
? Yatton Federated Schools Association and Yatton Rugby Club will hold its display at the club’s grounds, in North End Road, at 5.30pm on November 9.
? The Grand Pier’s display at 6pm, on November 17, will round off the season. Tickets, priced £7.50, are available online.