What's on this Weekend? - Armed Forces Day
PUBLISHED: 06:57 29 June 2013
THERE are plenty of exciting events taking place on Saturday and Sunday and here is a handy guide to make sure you do not miss out on the best bits.
* Weston - Armed Forces Day will see British heroes celebrated in Weston with a number of events taking place on Saturday. Although no longer a two-day event as planned, plenty of displays and events will be going on at the Italian Gardens and around the town from 10am-5pm. For more details follow the link on the right-hand side.
* Weare – Scarecrows will be on display at the open gardens and flower festival this weekend at the church. It will be open both today and tomorrow from 11am-4pm.
* Weston - Minnie Mouse will be the star visitor at this weekend’s summer fete at Corpus Christi Church Hall. Whether you are young or old, the fun day will provide plenty of treats. The Ellenborough Park South hall will be open from 11.30am-3.30pm on Saturday with a variety of stalls serving up delicacies such as home-made cakes plus a licensed bar and a barbecue.
* Kewstoke - A beautiful collection of classic cars will be on display at the church and village fete on Saturday from 1.30-4pm. The afternoon’s fun will be held at the village hall in Crookes Lane and admission is 50p.
* Congresbury – The village fete and flower show will be held at St Andrew’s Primary School today at 1.30pm.
* Blagdon - The madness of midsummer will come to Blagdon on Saturday afternoon with events aplenty ranging from a donkey derby to treasure trails and a barbecue. The day is designed as a perfect family day out and starts at 2pm at The Mead.
* Hutton – The scout hut in St Mary’s Road will hold its summer fete from 2-4pm. Stalls, toys, crafts, plants and more will be on sale.
* Brent Knoll – A flower and arts show will be held at the parish hall in Brent Street at 2pm today. There will be raffle, refreshments and classes available with admission priced £1.
* Butcombe – The village fete will be held at the Old Rectory in The Batch at 2.15pm.
* Cheddar – A tug of war is just one activity planned at Cheddar FC Sports and Social Club in Draycott Road today. At 2.30pm the fun will start with children’s play areas and face painting also planned.
* Worle – Weston Light Orchestra will be performing at St Martin’s Church in Church Road at 7.30pm. Tickets, priced £8, including cheese and wine, are available on the door.
* Sandford – Pets and prayers may not seem to mix that well but it will be a service with a difference tomorrow. Reverend Lydia Avery will lead a special service at the Railway Inn in Sandford Road at 11am.
* Weston – A free children’s arts and crafts event will be held at the Burlington Street museum from 11am-3pm.
* Hutton – A charity open garden event will be held at 3 Palmers Way today. The event is part of the National Gardens Scheme and will run from 2-5.30pm. Home-made produce and plants will be on sale. Entry is £3.
* Winscombe – Prize-winning dogs will be on show at the community centre in Sandford Road tomorrow. It will open to the public at 2pm.
* Banwell – A duck race will be held at the Brewer’s Arms pub in Church Street tomorrow. The fun starts at 2.30pm with tickets costing £1 available from Banwell News or the pub. First prize is £100 so you would be ‘quakers’ to miss out.
Have we missed something? Then comment at the bottom of the page or tell everyone on our Facebook page what else is going on.
If you are at one of these events this weekend, why not send your pictures into weston.iwitness24.co.uk and you may find your picture in the newspaper. Whether it is a breaking news incident or a funny thing you see while out and about, we want to know.