Wife found husband's body

A MAN died after toppling over a cliff side and landing on rocks after a night out in Clevedon, an inquest heard. Gordon Cherrington, aged 40, of Westbourne Avenue, was

A MAN died after toppling over a cliff side and landing on rocks after a night out in Clevedon, an inquest heard.Gordon Cherrington, aged 40, of Westbourne Avenue, was found lying on rocks near the town's sailing club on September 23.He was found by his wife Kim, who had spent the night with her sons scouring the coastline for her husband, after he wandered off after a night at the pub.Mr Cherrington had been out with his wife Kim, sons Grant and Matthew and his girlfriend Lisa and had spent the first part of the evening in the Little Harp.The family, who used to regularly go out on a Friday night together, later went to Campbell's Landing.After leaving Campbell's Landing, Mrs Cherrington said her husband suggested going to the Vibe nightclub for a few more drinks.Mrs Cherrington said: "He was really drunk at this point and I said we should go home and we started to walk along the seafront home."It was then Mr Cherrington realised he had dropped his mobile phone and son Grant went to find it.The inquest heard how Grant went onto the beach to look for the phone while his mum sat on a bench nearby waiting for him while her husband stood by the railings on the promenade.Mrs Cherrington said: "I called for him to come and sit on the bench and wait but he didn't."When I looked back he wasn't there."When Grant returned with the phone the pair went to look for Mr Cherrington who was nowhere to be found.Mrs Cherrington spent the night searching for her husband with Grant, Matthew and Lisa, but to no avail.In the morning she returned to the seafront to resume her search and spotted an object lying on the rocks.Mrs Cherrington said: "I looked over the rocks and could clearly see it was Gordon lying there."I shouted out, but got no response."Distraught Mrs Cherrington then called an ambulance and paramedics pronounced her husband dead.Police launched an investigation and confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances into the death.Officers also confirmed a pool of vomit had been found on the path directly above where Mr Cherrington was found.A post mortem examination revealed Mr Cherrington had a number of cuts and bruises across his body and had also broken ribs, dislocated spine and fractures to his skull.Toxicology reports also revealed Mr Cherrington had 274 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood. The legal driving limit is 80 milligrammes.Doctor David Patterson, who carried out the examination, said the cause of death was multiple trauma.Assistant deputy coroner Terry Moore said it was possible Mr Cherrington had gone to look for his son Grant or he had become ill and may have leant over the wall and lost his balance.Mr Moore recorded a verdict of accidental death.

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus