Weston Conservative councillor defects to Labour Party
- Credit: Archant
A long-standing Weston-super-Mare Conservative Party councillor has switched allegiances to the Labour Party.
Winterstoke Ward Councillor Len Purnell sat on Weston Town Council as a Conservatives for a number of years.
The Mercury understands the defection will not affect Cllr Purnell’s status as a councillor and will not require a by-election.
Cllr Purnell said: “I have felt more akin to the Labour Party’s their values and vision for the past 18 months.
“I have been in public service for 37 years which includes the NHS as a paramedic and Highways England as a traffic officer. I have questioned many of the Conservative policies both nationally and locally.
You may also want to watch:
“I feel the only way forward for myself was to change political party to one which shares my beliefs, in particular with regards to fairness and equality.”
Cllr Catherine Gibbons added: “I’m delighted to welcome Cllr Purnell to the Labour Party.
- 1 Arrest made following death of man in Weston attack
- 2 How to order free Covid home tests
- 3 Popular Weston restaurant welcomes customers back
- 4 Inadequate care home responds
- 5 Grand Pier to host recruitment open days
- 6 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 7 April 12 opening day: Sovereign Centre plans to shake-up Weston high street
- 8 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple
- 9 Reopening: Thousands booked as hairdressers reopen
- 10 Local artists bring wow-factor to Weston shop windows
“I’ve known Len a while now, he’s hard working and dedicated to the community.”