Woman and children rescued from blaze

PUBLISHED: 08:57 15 May 2012

Archant

A WOMAN and three children had to be rescued from a roof by firefighters during a blaze in Weston last night (Mon).

A fire broke out in a ground floor flat of a property in Ashcombe Road and they became trapped in the flat above with no access out of the building.

At 8.40pm two crews from Weston Fire Station attended the scene in Milton and four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the flames.

They also used ladders to safely rescue the four people from the flat roof, which they had climbed out on to escape the smoke and flames.

The firefighters also rescued a dog, a guinea pig and a rabbit from the building.

The woman, thought to be in her 40s, the three children all aged under 16 and a female living in the ground floor flat were taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire caused extensive damage to the ground floor flat, especially in the lounge where it is thought to have started accidentally.

Fire crews were told the flames were caused when a canister on a camping stove was being changed in the lounge. It sparked and discharged at the same time, causing a nearby sofa to set a light.

During the evening, the British Red Cross was also at the scene to help care for the people affected by the fire.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Weston Mercury