Work starts on children's centre
SHOVEL hit soil this week as work begun on a new children s centre in Burnham.
SHOVEL hit soil this week as work begun on a new children's centre in Burnham.
The centre, which is due to open in Spring 2008, will be a one-stop shop for family services and offer support and advice for parents and carers of children under five years old.
Visitors will be able to get information on child development, parenting and advice on how to stay safe and healthy.
The centre will also offer support to parents who are considering training and employment as well as high-quality childcare and preschool education from 8am-6pm on weekdays for children aged two to four.
You may also want to watch:
It will also be an advice centre for issues such as teenage pregnancy, children's healthcare and relationship counselling for parents and children.
There will also be a classroom for Burnham Preschool to use as it is currently using a temporary building in the infant school grounds.
- 1 Temporary closure of Weston's Marine Lake
- 2 Popular Weston restaurant closes after nearly 60 years
- 3 Owners address concerns raised over Weston donkeys during heatwave
- 4 Opening date announced for new supermarket
- 5 Summer by the Sea: 'North Somerset is the place to be'
- 6 Water Adventure Play Park switches water on again
- 7 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 8 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
- 9 Restricting more flights from airport would have 'profound implications for society', says lawyer
- 10 Yatton development welcomes first movers
Somerset County Council has contributed £470,000 to the project and worked with a steering group of Burnham representatives to ensure the facility will meet the needs of people in the area.
Steering group chairman Margaret Scott said: "It is exciting to see work on the building beginning. We listened to the community to make sure the centre meets the requirements of the residents and we are looking forward to the day the centre opens its doors."
The centre is one of about half a dozen the county council plans to build for children care and family support in towns across Somerset.
Planning permission for the building, near Burnham Community Infants School in Winchester Road, was granted by Sedgemoor District Council in August.