Worle woman celebrates 103rd birthday
- Credit: Archant
A Worle resident has celebrated her 103rd birthday this week.
Irene Newey had a party to mark the occasion on Tuesday at Summer Lane Care Home, in Diamond Batch.
Irene was born in Birmingham in 1916 but moved to Weston in the 1940s.
Her father was killed during the first Battle of Ypres in World War One and she lost her mother seven years later and was brought up by her grandmother.
Throughout her life Irene has enjoyed books and written much poetry, some of which has been published and read by her on the radio.
You may also want to watch:
For many years, Irene was a member of the townswomen's guild in Weston.
She also attended Milton Methodist Church, but now makes visits to Locking Castle Church where she has established long-lasting friendships.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset
- 2 GP surgery plans labelled 'unacceptable' by councillors
- 3 Temporary closure of Weston's Marine Lake
- 4 Owners address concerns raised over Weston donkeys during heatwave
- 5 Popular Weston restaurant closes after nearly 60 years
- 6 Opening date announced for new supermarket
- 7 Garden waste service disrupted due to 'ongoing crew shortages'
- 8 Green Party candidate elected to council following by-election win
- 9 Covid warning issued in North Somerset
- 10 Water Adventure Play Park switches water on again
She has one son, two grandsons and five great-grandsons.