Worle woman celebrates 103rd birthday
- Credit: Archant
A Worle resident has celebrated her 103rd birthday this week.
Irene Newey had a party to mark the occasion on Tuesday at Summer Lane Care Home, in Diamond Batch.
Irene was born in Birmingham in 1916 but moved to Weston in the 1940s.
Her father was killed during the first Battle of Ypres in World War One and she lost her mother seven years later and was brought up by her grandmother.
Throughout her life Irene has enjoyed books and written much poetry, some of which has been published and read by her on the radio.
For many years, Irene was a member of the townswomen's guild in Weston.
She also attended Milton Methodist Church, but now makes visits to Locking Castle Church where she has established long-lasting friendships.
- 1 Four jailed for total of more than 40 years for raid at drug dealer's home
- 2 Man jailed for stealing high-powered cars
- 3 Named: 52 people fined for dropping cigarettes and dogs off leads
- 4 Brilliant Bailey signs for high-flying Bristol Rovers
- 5 Residents fear mysterious CCTV camera is looking into homes
- 6 New boss Hutt 'couldn't say yes fast enough' to Winscombe post
- 7 HGV crashes into BUILDING in Banwell
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 Grand Pier unveils jam-packed Platinum Jubilee Celebrations
She has one son, two grandsons and five great-grandsons.