Worle woman celebrates 103rd birthday
- Credit: Archant
A Worle resident has celebrated her 103rd birthday this week.
Irene Newey had a party to mark the occasion on Tuesday at Summer Lane Care Home, in Diamond Batch.
Irene was born in Birmingham in 1916 but moved to Weston in the 1940s.
Her father was killed during the first Battle of Ypres in World War One and she lost her mother seven years later and was brought up by her grandmother.
Throughout her life Irene has enjoyed books and written much poetry, some of which has been published and read by her on the radio.
You may also want to watch:
For many years, Irene was a member of the townswomen's guild in Weston.
She also attended Milton Methodist Church, but now makes visits to Locking Castle Church where she has established long-lasting friendships.
- 1 Petrol filling station and food store opens on outskirts of Weston
- 2 Armed police at Birnbeck Pier after reports of men with a gun
- 3 Police appeal for dash cam footage after serious collision near Weston
- 4 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 5 Sun shines on successful Weston food festival
- 6 'Brilliant week' for Weston after April 12 ease in restrictions
- 7 Workshops to discuss new medical centre at Weston Rugby Club
- 8 Weston Lions cancel Real Ale Festival
- 9 Teenager charged with murder in Weston
- 10 Engaged couple thank new friends for 'special' night at Weston restaurant
She has one son, two grandsons and five great-grandsons.