Santa pelted with stones in Bournville
- Credit: Weston south ward sleigh ride
A charity sleigh ride was used as ‘target practice’ for a gang of youths in Weston.
The annual Santa sleigh ride organised by Axe District Explorer Scouts, was pelted with stones by four boys as it made it’s way around the Bournville estate on December 18.
One volunteer was hit by a stone, but thankfully not injured.
As a result of the incident, the event, now in its seventh year, had to be cut short.
However, after the story went viral on social media, three of the boys were contacted by youth workers and agreed to help with the final Nailsea leg, giving out lollies to children along the route.
You may also want to watch:
All three have all signed up to help with the event next year.
Organiser Linda Sims thanked everyone who offered ‘kind words, support and encouragement’ as well as youth workers from YMCA and SWAN who came out unpaid to work with the three young men.
- 1 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 2 10 beauty spots in North Somerset
- 3 Michael Eavis, Weston Mayor and former football players at pier fundraiser
- 4 Funeral directors set up new Weston branch
- 5 Have your say on plans for new GP surgery on Weston Rugby Club site
- 6 The joys of sea air: The visitors' guide to Weston-super-Mare
- 7 Forest preschool and holiday club set to open on outskirts of Weston
- 8 Have you seen wanted man Frazer Englefield?
- 9 Weston hotel destroyed by fire to be redeveloped this year
- 10 Gale force winds expected to hit North Somerset
The ride raised £2,245 in total.