Santa pelted with stones in Bournville
- Credit: Weston south ward sleigh ride
A charity sleigh ride was used as ‘target practice’ for a gang of youths in Weston.
The annual Santa sleigh ride organised by Axe District Explorer Scouts, was pelted with stones by four boys as it made it’s way around the Bournville estate on December 18.
One volunteer was hit by a stone, but thankfully not injured.
As a result of the incident, the event, now in its seventh year, had to be cut short.
However, after the story went viral on social media, three of the boys were contacted by youth workers and agreed to help with the final Nailsea leg, giving out lollies to children along the route.
You may also want to watch:
All three have all signed up to help with the event next year.
Organiser Linda Sims thanked everyone who offered ‘kind words, support and encouragement’ as well as youth workers from YMCA and SWAN who came out unpaid to work with the three young men.
- 1 Boy, 17, 'with machete' arrested in village
- 2 Weston Mercury building up for sale
- 3 Fire service investigates vehicle workshop blaze
- 4 Mystery of hillside artwork in Somerset village revealed
- 5 Who you can vote for in Avon and Somerset PCC elections
- 6 Contractors chosen to design Banwell bypass
- 7 Council hits out at 'flawed' report ranking Weston as second-worst seaside town
- 8 Royal Pier Hotel redevelopment would 'help to regenerate town'
- 9 New headteacher for village first school
- 10 Wetherspoon pub closes in town centre
The ride raised £2,245 in total.