Hornets latest National 2 West League encounter with Redruth proved to be a real tussle that ended with a narrow 38-36 defeat, but crucially two bonus points, last Saturday.

In brilliant sunshine Hornets started well and had the visitors under enormous pressure and after several phases it was the captain Matt Parker who was able to go over and Jamie Elswood converted 7-0 

Alas Hornets lost control at a lineout and Redruth proceeded to punish the home side and scored a well-worked try through Luke Barnes which Ethan Morgan converted to level the scores 7-7 

Redruth, whose large pack had Hornets under pressure and Morgan converted a penalty kick to go in front.

Hornets attacked through their forward pack and got to a position to kick at goal following an infringement by Redruth and Elswood converted 10-10 

Redruth had the ascendancy and more pressure and another score for the visitors and opened their lead again after Frank Nowell went over.

Hornets now attacked and when centre Adam Francis went over, and the hosts once again trimmed the lead.

Again, Hornets with ball in hand got into Redruth’s half and a penalty kick to the corner and resultant lineout and Si Elrick was on the scoresheet to make it 22-17.

A lack of concentration from the restart and Redruth had a chance to score, which they did very effectively through Barnes and the visitors went into half-time with a slender 24-22 lead.

Hornets again conceded early on through Nowell's try in the corner and Morgan once again was successful with his kick to make it 31-22.

Hornets though were not done, and the next try was awarded to Francis again after the forwards had controlled a lineout and 29-31. 

Redruth now sensed the victory and Hornets were held on their line and eventually after, too many penalties conceded, a penalty try was awarded as the Reds went 38-29 ahead.

Hornets had a few minutes left to get the second losing bonus point which was well executed from a lineout by Callum Lane and Elswood converted to give Hornets hope.

And with what was the last attack Hornets launched from deep’ they were able to encroach into Redruth’s 22 and looked like stealing the victory but the referee decided that the pass was forward and blew the final whistle to deny the hosts a morale boosting victory.

Hornets return to action this Saturday at Hinckley.