National League 2 West: Camborne 31-26 Hornets

Hornets took the long journey deep inside Cornwall and the home of Camborne RFC. The home side are the newbies this year but have proved with a strong team they are to be reckoned with. Hornets  put in a very spirited performance and again the game was there for the taking but just couldn’t quite get the win but came home with 2 points in the bag. 

With the breeze on their backs Hornets started well and had Camborne on the back foot and on their first attack Camborne had their talisman Josh Matavasi sent to the bin and as a result Hornets had attacking scrums inside the 5m of Camborne and when given the chance Macenzzie Duncan flipped the ball to Hayden Tuttiett and the first try converted by Jamie Elswood and the raucous crowd were silenced.0-7. 

However, Camborne are a quality outfit and came straight back and scored a converted try for themselves.7-7. 

Hornets from the restart put Camborne under pressure enough for the home side to concede a penalty and the kick to the corner and an attacking 5 m lineout for Hornets which was perfectly executed, and Callum Lane crashed over again Elswood was on target and Hornets had the lead again.7-14. 

The home side were getting frustrated and were playing intense rugby but again the Hornets defence was spot on and following a ball spilt in midfield by Camborne Connor Vickery scooped the ball up and sped off to round the disconnected defence to open the lead further and it was very quiet except for the few Hornets supporter's applause.7-19. 

Camborne do not roll over and they set about attacks at pace and were rewarded with a try and Hornets fly half Elswood left the field with injury and a re-group for Hornets. Camborne sensed a shift in power and got another to level the scores.19-19. 

Right on halftime Reuben Brown was binned and unfortunately a clearance kick was charged down and in a flash, Camborne had the lead at halftime.26-19. 

Still down to 14 in the second half Camborne turned on the style and got another and it looked dour for Hornets 31-19. 

A re-jigged Hornets pack and Kieran Ward on seemed to lift the team as they set about attacking again and it was Ward who got the score and Charlie Carter picked up the kicking duties and was successful and was there an upset on the cards with 23 minutes left to play. 31-26. 

The 2 teams both threw everything at each other, and both had chances to score but it was looking like Hornets would get the try to at least get a draw and when on the attack the ball spilled at the death and the final whistle blown. Final score Camborne 31 Hornets 26. 

Hornets came away disappointed that the win was not taken as they were up 7-19 but another quality performance in Camborne and a well-earned 2 points on the road. Recently in the last 3 games Hornets have picked up 8 points which will be very much needed, and the season draws slowly to conclusion. 

A week off now for this team and then another huge game as Clifton come to the Nest on the 10th Feb.