Hornets welcomed their now closest rivals in terms of geography to a very busy Nest and were beaten in the very last play as Old Reds managed to scramble over for a try, condemning the Hornets to a narrow 35-37 loss in an entertaining match that offered an 11 try feast for the crowd. 

Having gone five games unbeaten, the Hornets were quite rightly in a confident mood but a well-coached side in Reds was always a big test.

It was Hornets that got off to the better start as the Reds gave away a penalty on their own 10m line and into a strong wind Charlie Carter slotted it over for the first score in the third minute to make it 3-0. 

A well-executed catch and drive lineout worked the ball for the Old Reds as they got over the line for their first try and conversion and the lead at 3-7.

Old Reds under pressure had a scrum on their own 5m line and Hornets licked their lips with the opportunity to strike.

Hornets dominated the scrum, leaving the ball at the feet of no.8 Ayden Chenoweth who broke and delivered a pass to Chris Francis who finished off the try that was converted to give Hornets the lead 10-7.

It didn’t last long as the Reds hit straight back with a penalty kick at goal which levelled the scores to 10-10. 

Hornets now showed they have come a long way this season and set up some attacking rugby that had the crowd on their feet.

They worked the ball wide then back in field and through close handling it was Hayden Tuttiett who was able to surge over the line to put the Hornets in front again 15-10. 

Reds came straight back with an unconverted try of their own to level at 15-15.

Hornets now began to dominate in all areas and the visitors were forced to alter their front row with replacements.

After a series of fouls Hornets went with a penalty to kick to the 5m line and after a clever lineout move Kieran Ward was over for a well taken try and Carter converted from the touchline to make it 22-15. 

Josh Sheppard scored his first senior try for his boyhood Club after a pass from Connor Vickery just after to make it, 27-15. 

The first half ended, and Hornets were looking good. 

The Reds managed to re-group, and they came out in the second half firing on all cylinders, scoring the first try of the half after three minutes to make it 27-22. 

Hornets again won another penalty and Carter slotted it to make it 30-22 with only 30 minutes left, but the Old Reds put the pressure on and seized their chances to get two quick tries to take the lead 30-32. 

Hornets were after the win and so set about attacking and swift handling and winger Stan Norman restored their lead with 13 minutes left to play, 35-32. 

Both sides now were going hammer and tong at each other, but Hornets couldn’t hold on.

A lineout on the Hornets 22 by the visitors set up the last attack and after many phases of play and some outstanding defence by Hornets the Reds managed to go over to pinch the win and leave Hornets distraught.

The conversion was immaterial as when missed the ref blew for full time leaving the Old Reds 35-37 winners.

This recent run of 5 unbeaten games has now come to an end but the Hornets have cemented their place in the Nat 2 West league for a 3rd season and look forward to continuing to represent the small town of Weston-super-Mare on the National stage.