Weston-super-Mare AFC were disappointed on Tuesday night after a 3-0 defeat by Farnborough in a game that failed to create any clear goalscoring opportunities at the Optima Stadium, a problem that has plagued the team for the last few games.

The Seagulls came into the game wanting to snap a three-game losing streak and they started off the better side enjoying the majority of the possession in the opening minutes, but it didn’t last long.

Farnborough grew into the game with quick play through the midfield, pushing the ball into the wide areas to pressure defenders, and causing havoc with some long throws into the box that Weston’s defence struggled to deal with.

It was one of these long throws that would be their undoing in the 19th minute when they failed to deal with a throw into the box early, and allowed a first and then a second shot that went in from Joe Samuel Haigh, despite a good first save from Weston keeper Max Harris.

Only three minutes later the script repeated itself as Farnborough delivered another long throw that wasn’t deal with in the penalty area, and after two or three blocked shots Jordan Norville-Williams put the visitors two nil up with a composed finish into the top left corner.

And from there on out it was familiar viewing for Weston fans, who saw their team enjoy vast amounts of possession without producing any clear goalscoring opportunities in the oppositions final third.

The second half was more of the same, with The Seagulls playing the ball around comfortably in front of their opponents but being unable to get in behind or threaten the Farnborough defensive line which had now increased from four men to five.

Farnborough were inviting Weston to attack them, confident they could defend their two-goal lead, and they were proved right as Weston struggled to get the ball into the opposition box due to a lack of movement in the penalty area or creativity to find a direct, forward pass.

The third goal of the game would come in the 77th minute, another failed Weston attack saw Boro left back Norville-Williams break down the left-hand side and neatly finish past keeper Harris in a one-on-one situation.

Weston’s closest chance of the night came from a long-range strike that was hit like a rocket by centre back Lloyd Humphries in the 39th, but the Farnborough keeper made a good save to tip it just over the bar.

The Seagulls also saw the return of skipper Dayle Grubb to the starting line up who battled it out for the full 90 minutes, a small positive for manager Scott Bartlett to take from his team’s performance.

The result leaves Weston-super-Mare 15th in the table, and they will look to turn their form around against local rivals Taunton Town on Friday, when the Peacocks visit the Optima Stadium.