Yeovil Town’s National League South clash at Weymouth was abandoned after 70 minutes of play due to a medical emergency in the crowd.

The players were led from the field and an air ambulance landed on the pitch to provide emergency assistance to the stricken fan.

At the time, Weymouth were leading the game 1-0 but, after such a long break in play, the decision was made to abandon the fixture.

Yeovil boss Mark Copper sent his best wishes to the fan, who was watching the game from the Yeovil end of the ground, and also praised the amazing support his team has received.

He said: “Firstly, we hope the lady is ok. The narrative will be that we didn’t want to play but I don’t see how you can expect athletes that have prepared for a game to start again after what could be an hour-and-a-half, having already playing for 70 minutes.

“I think the sensible decision was made.

“I made the coach driver take a detour along the seafront [before the game] because I wanted the players to see the effort of our supporters. It’s a proper football club and we want to give them something to shout about.”

While both clubs await news from the National League and what happens next with the fixture, Cooper will reflect on a game where his attacking players took a while to get going.

It was a stark contrast to the impressive 3-0 demolition of Torquay United on Good Friday but momentum was with the Glovers when the emergency occurred.

“We had a poor first half and our forward players didn’t spark. We were comfortable in the game but we didn’t offer a threat at the top of the pitch.

“I couldn’t see Weymouth scoring until one of our centre-halves tried to play for an offside, which we’ve never worked on, and we got caught. It gives Weymouth the chance to hold on to something.

“In the ten minutes before the game ceased, we had a really head of steam and I was confident we were going to score. We should have had two penalties but it’s a difficult day. We go back on the coach and prepare for the next game.”

Elsewhere in the National League South, a 1-0 defeat for second-placed Chelmsford City at already-relegated Dover Athletic means that Yeovil are just one win away for confirming promotion. Worthing are the visitors to Huish Park on Saturday.