Somerset Premier Division: Wrington Redhill 2-1 Timsbury Athletic

With the Rec’ under water once again this game was played on the 4g surface at Weston-Super-Mare AFC, writes John Clements.

Wrington Redhill had most of the ball in the 1st half without really creating much. The midfield of Josh Pitt, Sam Harvey, Ayrton Phillips and Max Smith kept the ball well but strikers Travis Turner and Reece Ferguson Obamwonyi were well marshalled by the Somerton back line.

Somerton took the lead after 15 minutes against the run of play when a corner from the left found Jack French unmarked who volleyed in from close range.  

Wrington Redhill continued to probe without much luck and the next decent chance fell to Somerton Sam Richards who's  fierce shot from just outside the box was superbly turned wide of the post by Regan D’Arcy at full stretch.

Somerton found some space down both flanks as the game wore on but a series of crosses were well dealt with by central defenders Ethan Johnson and skipper Dan Ferguson and some smart catches by D’Arcy in goal.

The 2nd half seemed like Somerton had decided to defend their slender lead which brought some chances for the home side. Sam Harvey had a shot cannon back off the bar before Ollie Clements had his deflected shot superbly saved by Josh Atwood in goal for the visitors.

Left back Jordon Bonner was bombing down the left and getting his crosses in but most were well dealt with by Scrivens and Plowman at the heart of the Somerton defence.

The introduction of Joe Creese, George Fake and Ryan Pugh seemed to liven things up and before long all 3 were involved in a goal that was ruled out for offside!

A corner from the right was met with a firm header from Pugh onto the bar, the rebound was won by Fake and the ball eventually fell to Creese who volleyed home from close range. Goal everybody thought until they saw the linesman’s flag.

This was of course disputed but it was disallowed. With the clock ticking and now in extra time the equaliser came when goalkeeper Atwood and his skipper Scrivens went for the same high cross and wiped each other out and as the ball bounced Josh Pitt out jumped defender Hornett to force the ball over the line!

Deep into injury time and with the visitors trying to hang on Wrington we’re awarded a free kick on the left.

Sam Harvey’s beautifully flighted cross was met with a deft header by Ethan Johnson for the winner on 90 + 7 minutes!