A step too far for boxing sisters
Boxing sisters Mischale and Merlene George just miss out on national titles.
WESTON ABC travelled to Harlow, Essex, recently with the elder of the two George sisters, 18-year-old Mischale for the semi-finals of the female senior championships.
Mischale was hoping to join her sister Merlene, who had already qualified to the national female junior finals, but in her way was Pujar Thapar of Bulmerse ABC, Oxfordshire in this light-heavyweight contest.
It was a step too far for Mischale, as the more experienced Thapar was too strong for Mischale, forcing two standing eight counts and a first round stoppage. So it was all left to Merlene (15), of Oldmixon and St Bedes School to create history and bring the first female national boxing title back to Weston.
Her opponent in the 54kg weight division was the two-time national champion Jenna O’Reilly from South London. From the bell, Merlene controlled the early part of the first round with her bolstering jabs, but O’Reilly caught her on the counter, levelling the first round.
You may also want to watch:
The second saw O’Reilly start to creep away using some clever movement, so Merlene had to go for it in the third and she attacked with menace putting in a stirling performance, but O’Reilly’s experience shone through countering on the back foot to claim her third title.
Merlene should be proud of herself getting to the final in her first year of boxing and picking up the national silver medal.
- 1 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 2 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Two charged with burglary and fraud
This brings an end to Weston ABCs season, but the club will be looking for more budding female and male boxers next season.
Training for beginners is on Tuesdays and Sundays (7-8pm) at Weston Youth Centre. The club is also looking for a club sponsor, anyone interested can contact John on 07786 371164.