A tale of two halves

Weston St Johns recorded their first away victory of the season at Castle Cary.

Castle Cary 0

Weston St Johns 3

SAINTS produced a good second half performance to record their first away win of the season.

In the first half, Saints struggled to get their game together and Castle Cary looked the more likely to open the scoring. Saints keeper Ian Allchorne made several fine saves to deny the Castle Cary strikers goal scoring opportunities.

You may also want to watch:

Just before half-time, Allchorne was called into action again when he dived full length to push a free-kick over the bar. With only minutes to go in the half, Saints were awarded a free-kick and Andy Young’s cross found Danny Sprague, but the keeper made a good save to keep the scores level.

As poor as Saints had been in the first-half, the second half was a different story with Saints totally dominant.

Most Read

They opened the scoring when another free-kick from Young was knocked back by Sprague to Jack Clark who fired home from close range.

Defenders Dave Wilcox, Andy Llewellyn, Dean Pierson and Young were defending a lot better against the lively Castle Cary attack and the midfield of Mark Adams, James Wotton, Ryan Hawkins and Nick Jones took control of the game.

Saints made the score 2-0 when Jones fired a 40 yard strike into the top corner of the net. Saints wrapped the game up when Sprague and Wotton caused confusion in the Castle Cary defence and the ball ran free to Clark and he smashed it into the net to make the final score 3-0.

Mike Whittaker Building player of the match was Ian Allchorne.

Ashton & Backwell 1

Worle 0

WORLE were unlucky to come away empty handed in a game they dominated in the second half.

Worle welcomed back Joe Farmer up front, who partnered Ernest Gorka. Markus Bail made his outfield debut and Mitch Tucker started in goal.

The first half was an even affair, but Worle went 1-0 down when hesitancy in the Worle defence allowed the Ashton centre forward a free header. Worle should have equalised when Gorka was put through, but he dragged his shot wide.

The second half belonged to Worle with the impressive Simon Hewish in midfield and the defence of Clements, Bail, Harvey and Pratlett looking comfortable.

Unfortunately, Worle could not capitalise on their possession with chances falling to Gorka and Hewish. New signing Guy Banwell was introduced with 20 minutes remaining and impressed and both the Hodrien brothers, Jack and Mike, came on in the latter stages of the game, replacing both Farmer and Vincent.

Man of the match was Simon Hewish.

Worle are home to Creech St Michael on Saturday (2pm).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus