Adam hits the perfect hat-trick

Banwell striker Adam Abrams hits the perfect hat-trick against Imperial.

Banwell 4 Imperial Sports 0

ADAM Abrams rolled back the years scoring a perfect hat-trick with a right-foot goal, a header and a left-foot goal.

Banwell took their league form into the divisional cup with this convincing win over a strong Imperial side.

Damien Thomas put the hosts in front after 10 minutes, beating the keeper from 20 yards after being played in by Roger Mitchell. Chris Bradley saw his effort well saved, but Abrams was on hand to double Banwell’s lead.

You may also want to watch:

Mark McKeever and Ash Triffit were causing problems for the visiting defenders, supplying Dave Mitchell and Abrams, who were a constant threat.

When Imperial did press forward, captain Jason Potter marshalled his defence of Adam Haysom, Roger Mitchell and Russell Mitchell superbly. Keeper Adam Haysom’s sharp reflexes and quick decision making saw him pull off two great saves to give Banwell a 2-0 lead at the break.

Most Read

After the break, Ben Cornish, Thomas and Bradley worked tirelessly in midfield, Potter and the Mitchell brothers all played their part as the visitors had a strong 20 minutes.

Tony Morton and Damien Hill were introduced and the fresh legs improved Banwell’s attacking options. Abrams scored a great header at the back post for his second before completing his hat-trick 10 minutes from time.

The Royal Hotel man of the match was shared between Adam Abrams and Jason Potter.

Banwell are back in league action on Saturday and are able to welcome back key players for this week’s trip to local rivals Westlands Utd.

Langford Rovers 2 Minehead 0

ROVERS set up a second round cup tie at home to Ilminster after a hard-fought win at home to Minehead.

Rovers pressed in the opening period with Ryan Havard proving a handful and from two free kicks, both he and brother Kyle went close. The visitors had few chances in the first half, but nearing the interval a shot had to be superbly turned round the post by Jamie Crandon.

The second period saw Rovers step up a gear and they took the lead when Joe Popperwell headed home Havard’s corner. Leigh White then went close, as did Havard again and Giles shot over after Adi Marshman’s flick on.

The second goal was sublime. Mark Brown’s neat ball fed White, who crossed for Havard to dummy and finish neatly. With Brown, Marshman, Popperwell and the excellent Ryan Harris playing well in defence, Rovers still had to rely on two excellent Crandon saves, one from the penalty spot.

Rovers are back in league action this Saturday, as they entertain Bridgwater Town Reserves.

Weston St Johns 1 Purnells 0

SAINTS progressed to the next round of the League Cup with a comfortable victory over Purnells.

Saints started the better, but found it hard to breakdown Purnells’ stubborn defence. Early chances fell to Ross Stockhall, Jack Clark and Calum McManus. Purnells offered little in attack and defenders Dean Pierson, Nick Jones, Mitch Smit and James Bennellick were on top.

With Mark Adams dominating midfield, Saints continued to create chances and James Wotton and Ryan Hawkins both went close.

The second half was more of the same with Saints dominating and creating chances and the keeper had to make good saves from McManus, Wotton and Hawkins. Saints got the goal they deserved when a good defensive header by Bennellick fell to Hawkins and his long diagonal pass split the Purnells defence and fell perfectly for Stockhall, who rounded the keeper before firing into the empty net.

Purnells raised their game and Saints keeper Ian Allchorne was forced to make some good saves to preserve the lead. Saints nearly doubled their lead, but McManus and Stockhall were denied.

Bookers Wholesale player of the match was Mark Adams.

Worle 1 Nailsea United 3

THIS was an entertaining game to watch with both sides playing attractive football, but Worle went out in the first round of the cup.

The game was free-flowing from the start with Spencer Sowden standing in for Matt Hill between the posts. Worle took an early lead when an Ollie Clements free kick deceived the visiting keeper.

Nailsea always looked dangerous on the break and both Greg Miller and Rob Sumption proved a handful for the experienced Nailsea defence. Before half-time Nailsea levelled when a shot eluded Sowden.

Both sides pressed in the second half, but a couple of defensive errors let Nailsea gain the advantage and although the home side pressed, they could not find a way back into this game.

On Saturday, Worle will face the same Nailsea United side in the league (3pm) at Worle Recreation Ground.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter