Alan’s 40 years honoured by Somerset FA
- Credit: Archant
Former Weston referee Alan Cumner has been honoured by the county FA after 40 years of service.
THE Somerset FA has recognised over 40 years service to refereeing by presenting two awards to Alan Cumner, the current president of the Weston and District Football League.
Alan started refereeing in 1973 and become the league’s referees appointment secretary in 1974, a position he held for seven years before becoming chairman in 1981 and remaining in that post for 26 years before becoming president in 2007.
In 1975, Alan attended his first Somerset FA referees annual promotions meeting as a co-opted member and when he become a Somerset councillor in 1978, was immediately selected on to the referees committee, a position he has held since, finally standing down at the end of last season.
Apart from his services as an administrator, Alan is well known as a registered FA referees assessor which started in 1975 and he can still be seen every Saturday afternoon at grounds throughout Somerset.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “It has been a wonderful journey over the past 40 years where I have made so many friends and I hope that I have been of some assistance to the many referees that I have met on the way.”
- 1 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
- 2 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 3 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
- 4 Free workshops to raise awareness of seasonal affective disorder
- 5 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 6 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 7 Have your say on health services in Somerset
- 8 Ambitious West of England mass transit project motors forward
- 9 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 10 Family business raises hundreds for homeless charity