Alex takes advantage
SEA ANGLING - COMPETITION is hotting up in the Veals of Highbridge Junior League.
COMPETITION is hotting up in the Veals of Highbridge Junior League.
Alex Bloomfield took advantage of kind weather and shoals of whiting to take over the lead from Marli Garrard, aged 7.
On the day, Alex won with eight whiting and 173 points. Lorenzo Newman came down from Swindon with his grand-dad, and took second place with five whiting and 114 points and Nick Caine caught a flounder, whiting and silver eel to claim third place with 94 points.
Overall, 22 fish were caught, measured and safely released.
You may also want to watch:
The action then moved on to the third match in the League, again on Weston beach. Fish were ready to come to worm and for one angler, peeler crab.
The lead changed frequently, but the killer blow for Lorenzo was a 45cm near 2lb bass. This, with eight whiting made up a really great catch for 206 points. Jacob D'Arcy came second with five fish, including a useful 45cm eel, and 138.5 points. Alex had to be content with smaller fish, but took five for 104 points. On the day 24 fish were caught.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
- 3 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 4 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 5 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 6 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 7 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 8 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
- 9 Free workshops to raise awareness of seasonal affective disorder
- 10 Have your say on health services in Somerset
After three matches and 49 fish, mainly whiting with a few flounder, bass and silvers, the overall leaders are Alex on 324 points, Lorenzo on 320, Jacob on 204.5, Marli on 177.5. Note: Four points, ie, 4cms separates first and second. Thank you to our sponsor, Veals, parents and club helpers.
Next Sea Urchins League match is at Sand Bay. Meet at the car park, half way along by bus turn round and public toilets, at 9am, fishing 9.30 to noon. The lugworm beds are not as Weston beach and the tide comes in quickly. Get up early if you want lug from here! �1 entry Remember hat, boots, and cool box/bag. New joiners welcome with parent. Any queries call Colin Coburn on 01934 712632.