Alice is masters champion at Cheddar
- Credit: Archant
Cheddar Sailing member Alice Allen won the Enterprise Masters Championships at Cheddar Reservoir.
CHEDDAR Sailing hosted the prestigious Enterprise Masters Championship for sailors of Enterprise Dinghies aged 40 and over at Cheddar Reservoir.
Thirty-three sets of blue sails graced the water for a tough schedule of seven race. Competitors travelled from as far afield as Yorkshire, Lancashire, Wales and Cornwall.
A northerly force three to four wind created difficult conditions and were not steady as the wind found its way through Cheddar Gorge and channelled across the reservoir, giving race officer Arky Wainwright a challenge and the competitors a chance for some buoyancy testing as many of the capsized into the cold water.
Cheddar Sailing’s Alice Allen, crewed by Sharky Massey, was crowned ladies’ champion. Tim Sadler and Richard Sault from Yorkshire Dales SC, with Mark Lunn and Steve Blackburn from West Lancs SC were second on 20 points and Ges Brown and Julie Moore from Chester in third on 28 points.
You may also want to watch:
First of the 10 home boats was Alice and Sharky, ahead of Gavin Willis and Phil Bush, Ian Wakeling and Jimmy Millar.
The sailors enjoyed an excellent masters dinner cooked and served by volunteer members of Cheddar Sailing.
- 1 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 2 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 3 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 4 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 5 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 6 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruise past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 7 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 8 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 9 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 10 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
Ant Clay, who was fourth overall said: “The organisation on and off the water was great and the racing was fantastic.”
Lady champion Alice Allen added “It was a fantastic weekend’s sailing, well done to everyone who battled it out, literally, with the unpredictable weather. Also,thanks to Arky for great race officer duties.”