Amazing start for Robbie
ROBBIE Gallier of Lympsham stunned the karting world when he raced for the first time in the powerful Rotax Junior Max class at Clay Pigeon, just east of Yeovil.
ROBBIE Gallier, of Lympsham, stunned the karting world when he raced for the first time in the powerful Rotax Junior Max class at Clay Pigeon, just east of Yeovil.
The 13-year-old is one of the youngest in the class and had to carry 16 kilos of ballast under the regulations.
The weekend did not start well as his new kart was found to have a fault in the steering and he then had to compete in a different machine.
In the first of two heats, each of 15 laps, Robbie started and finished third on wet tyres. This boosted his confidence for the second heat, which he started sixth and made up two places to finish fourth.
You may also want to watch:
This was enough to qualify Robbie third for the final, and with the track drying and most drivers choosing an intermediate tyre, Robbie and the team made the brave choice going for slick tyres.
Robbie made a superb start and got into second spot before he spun out on lap five of the 20-lap race. This dropped him to sixth place, but he made up the places to finish an amazing second in his first ever Junior Rotax race and it could even be a win as the winners clutch is under investigation for technical infringement. A decision will be made soon.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 4 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 5 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 6 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 7 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 8 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 9 Man charged with possession of offensive weapon in village
- 10 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory
Race team boss, Mike Kellard was impressed with Robbie, saying: “Robbie has an amazing talent and I and the whole Clay Kart shop team are impressed with him.
“The transition from Honda to this class is enormous and Robbie has demonstrated his amazing talent and impressed all at the circuit.”
Support continues from Eurocams, Mountney, Demon Tweeks, BWOC, WSM Fasteners, Bespoke Mfg, Lucas Oil and PIAA.