Animals take second spot at national final
A windsurfing team based at Axbridge Reservoir, came second in a national competition.
THE Axbridge Animals, based at Bristol Corinthian Yacht Club, travelled to Northampton Sailing Club to compete in the Team 15 Championship Cup National final.
The Animals won the south zone regional title in September, qualifying them as one of the top nine Team 15 windsurf teams in the country.
The Axbridge Animals team, all aged between 10 and 15 years, travelled to Pitsford Water in Northampton.
Ninety competitors competed in four different sail size classes (3.5, 4.5, 5.8 and 6.8), pitting their skills against each other, while trying to post the best results possible for their team.
You may also want to watch:
All the training and hard work paid off and the Axbridge team were rewarded with a fine second place.
Josh Hunt, aged 13, from Weare, came first in the 3.5m fleet, an astonishing feat as he has only been windsurfing six months. Josh came first in nearly all of his races in a large fleet. Bethany Horsnell, aged 12 years, from Weston, came third overall (2nd girl) in the 5.8m fleet.
- 1 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 2 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 3 Cosmetics company creates candle to raise cash for Weston Hospicecare
- 4 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 5 New scheme to monitor high-risk Covid patients at home will 'save lives'
- 6 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 7 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 8 Weston Hospicecare postpones Men's March due to possible lockdown extension
- 9 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
- 10 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
Head coach Andrew Lucas was delighted with the result and paid testament to the dedication of the children, parents and coaches.