Annual mixed open at Woodland
Woodland Tennis Club held its annual mixed open, playing for the Calvados Cup.
WOODLAND Lawn Tennis Club held its annual mixed veteran’s open tournament, the Calvados Cup, last Sunday in glorious sunshine.
The day was characterised by the high standard of play from the 12 pairs of competitors who came from all over the South West. Woodland partnership, Nick Griffiths and Jo Foster, the current holders of the cup, were in fine form only to be beaten in the semi-finals by Liz Hegarty and Rob Hazel.
Rob and Liz were set to meet Tony Wilford and Brenda Plummer in the final after they beat Tony Pearman and Claire Vickery.
The final was full of surprises. The first three games were won by Liz and Rob. After leading 4-1, Tony and Brenda hit back to win 6-4 and claim the cup.
You may also want to watch:
Club chairman, Les Treen, was delighted with the event. He said: “The Calvados Cup never fails to produce some excellent tennis, making it a great day for competitors and spectators alike.”
For more information on the club and its activities contact membership secretary Judy Cannon on 01934 629819 or visit the website at www.woodlandtennisclub.co.uk
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 3 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 4 Girl, 11, suffers serious injuries after collision with car
- 5 Christmas panto cancelled due to tier three restrictions
- 6 Mural nears completion in Weston
- 7 Which services will be open and closed during tier three in North Somerset?
- 8 Lockdown chef launches cook-along YouTube channel
- 9 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 10 Weston College principal receives award on BBC television show