Annual ski trip to Holland
- Credit: Archant
Avon Ski Club members enjoyed their annual training trip to Holland.
AVON Ski Club has recently returned from their third annual race training trip to the world’s largest snowdome, Landgraaf, in Holland.
This year there were 11 trainees and two coaches, who were able to utilise one of the best artificial snow slopes in the world, and to train alongside the Spanish World Cup team, as well as a number of other national and regional ski teams.
The Avon youngsters were able to train on a full length slalom course and were also able to undertake many more runs than on a similar set up in the mountains, due to the short uplift time.
Avon Ski Club will be demonstrating some exercises as well as running a dual team slalom at the Mendip Snowsports Centre, Churchill, on Sunday, as part of the Slide to Sochi event being held there.
You may also want to watch:
At the weekend, you can book a taster session on either skis or snowboard for £5, as part of the build up to the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, next February.
Anyone interested in learning how to race as opposed to just skiing is more than welcome at the Mendip Snowsport Centre, every Tuesday between 6-8pm, all equipment is provided, just turn up, or call Fraser Black on 07721 594676.
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 3 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 Christmas panto cancelled due to tier three restrictions
- 6 Hospital trust defends patient-to-nurses ratio increase
- 7 Airport to receive £8million grant to 'protect jobs'
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
- 10 Weston shop offering personalised fudge gift boxes