Another full house for the A team
Uphill Badminton Club saw three of its team all register comprehensive victories.
UPHILL Badminton Club’s A, D and men’s A team were in action last week with all three teams having comprehensive wins
The A team were away to Frys A and the team of Paul Edwards, Matt Cole, Mark Edwards (captain), Ellie Jewell, Christy Langford and Harriet Birt won by nine rubbers to nil.
With Becky Halfpenny being out ill, new recruit Harriet Birt made her A team debut and performed admirably. All the mixed and men’s rubbers were won comfortably in two games.
The ladies were a tougher encounter due to Frys star youngster Heather Wrigglesworth. In the first ladies, Ellie Jewell and Christy Langford beat Heather and Naomi Leppier. Then in the closest battle of the night, Chrsity and Harriet survived a scare, being taken to three games by Heather and Jan Kerr.
You may also want to watch:
This was the A team’s twelvth straight 9-0 victory and 40th consecutive win stretching back over four years to November 2008.
The D team were away to Chew Valley B and got back to winning ways with a 8-1 victory. The team of Carl Harrison (captain), Sourish Ganapathi, Billy Fear, Jess Hargrave, Emily Look and Ellen Davis all performed well and came out worthy winners.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 3 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 4 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 5 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 6 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 7 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 8 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 9 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 10 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
The team got off to a slightly slow start with both Carl and Jess and Billy and Ellen being taken to three games. The Uphill men then proved far too strong in winning all three rubbers comfortably.
The ladies were a closer affair with Jess and Emily winning a close first rubber, before Jess and Ellen had a great tussle in three. Chew Valley then avoided the whitewash in another nail-biting rubber with Laura Finch and Vicky Vipond beating Emily and Ellen 21-17, 23-25, 21-17.
The men’s A team were at home to Wells B and won by six rubbers to nil. The team of James Bright, Neil Sandifer, Ian Gilmore (captain) and Paul Wright all played well, winning all their rubbers in straight games.
Both teams had very good number one players, for Uphill it was James Bright, while for Wells it was Ranga Hariharam. However, the rest of the Uphill players were all more skilful than their Wells counterparts. Man of the match was James Bright.
Uphill are enjoying their best start to a league campaign for many years. With the clubs teams now having played 15 league matches they have recorded 13 wins, one draw and one defeat and all seven teams currently sit top of their respective divisions.
This friendly club always welcomes both junior (five to 18-year-olds) and senior new members and organises a variety of social events throughout the year. Anyone interested in joining the senior club should visit the website www.uphillbadminton.co.uk or phone Paul Edwards on 07866 946422.
For junior membership they should contact Caroline Poole on email@example.com