Another point earned for the Seagulls

Weston AFC V Bath

Weston AFC V Bath - Credit: Archant

Weston picked up a point on their travels to Basingstoke Town to help in their fight against relegation.



WESTON took an important step to retaining their Vanarama Conference South status by coming back from a two-goal deficit to pick up a point at the Camrose. The result sees Basingstoke relegated.

There were two contrasting halves to the game, with Basingstoke, determined to impress new manager Terry Brow, dominating the first 45 minutes, but after the interval Weston, who made a couple of changes, and roared on by marvellous vocal support from the large travelling faithful, took control and almost came away with all three points.

You may also want to watch:

Basingstoke pressed strongly from the start and opened the scoring on seven minutes when Chris Flood headed past Luke Purnell from Nathan Flood’s deep cross from the right. Minutes later, Purnell did well to beat out Liam Enver-Marum’s low shot.

Enver-Marum did better when he beat Purnell with a low angled effort after Flood had pulled the ball back from the by-line.

Most Read

Weston’s best chances of the half fell to Jake Mawford who headed narrowly over and Scott Wilson’s rising shot that came back off Basingstoke’s post and bar.

Early in the second half, Weston brought on Joe McClennan for Sekani Simpson and then Kane Ingram for Jamie Edge, and the new line-up changed the complexion of the game.

They pulled a goal back on 63 minutes when, from their third corner taken by Dayle Grubb, Ollie Barnes beat home keeper Dan Lincoln with a far-post header.

Shortly after, Lincoln at full stretch did well to turn Tristan Plummer’s shot over his bar and later the keeper did well to keep out shots by Plummer, Wilson and Grubb.

Weston struck again on 76 minutes when Plummer was brought down by Smart and Wilson beat Lincoln from the penalty spot. Late in the game, Jason Pope, who replaced Plummer, fired narrowly over with only Lincoln to beat.


Goals: Basingstoke Flood (7), Enver-Marum (28). Weston: Barnes (63), Wilson (76, penalty).

Shots on target: Basingstoke 5, Weston 6.

Shots off target: Basingstoke 3, Weston 3.

Corners: Basingstoke 2, Weston 3.

Offsides: Basingstoke 3, Weston 3.

Free kicks conceded: Basingstoke 18, Weston 7.

Referee: Adam Ricketts. Good game.

Bookings: Basingstoke: Dunn, Enver-Marum.

Attendance: 400.

Weston squad: Purnell, Simpson (McClennan 59), Barnes, Cane, Keary, Fortune, Mawford, Plummer (Pope 79), Wilson, Grubb, Edge (Ingram 61). Subs (not used): Wring, Withey.

ON Saturday, Weston entertain Whitehawk and will be looking for a league double, having won 2-0 in Sussex in October, both goals scored by Bradley Ash.

On Tuesday, Weston entertain Wells City in the semi-final of the Somerset Premier Cup. This game will be played to a finish with extra time and penalties if necessary.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus