Another Uphill team clinches promotion
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club’s successful season continued with promotion for their C team.
UPHILL D mixed badminton team played their final match of the season at home to Portishead B, looking to avenge an earlier defeat.
The match started with a hard-fought victory, with Uphill’s Julie O’Sullivan and Rohan Weekes being taken to three games. Dannie Stone and Luke Morgan ran out comfortable winners, as did Lauren Rickwood and Paul Wright.
Portishead hit back by winning the first ladies’ doubles, but O’Sullivan and Rickwood won the second. However,the pick of the rubbers was possibly in the last of the ladies’ doubles which went to three games, as Stone and Rickwood won 21-19 in the third.
The men’s doubles found Uphill in superior form with all three rubbers won. Rickwood, Weekes, Morgan and Wright won all three of their rubbers as Uphill won 8-1 on their promotion to Division 3.
You may also want to watch:
Uphill C team were involved in home and away fixtures in their last two matches against Nailsea and Backwell B team. Uphill won the home fixture 5-4 and in the return fixture, won 6-3.
Nailsea and Backwell began the first fixture by winning all the mixed rubbers taking a 3-0 lead in the match. The Uphill ladies’ doubles were too strong for Nailsea and they won all three rubbers. Uphill won two of the men’s rubbers, but lost the third in a final game score of 23-25 to make it 5-4.
- 1 CNM Estates purchase Birnbeck Pier with new company
- 2 Weston accountant sees business thrive during lockdowns
- 3 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 4 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 5 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 6 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 7 Thatchers search online for cidermakers
- 8 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 9 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 10 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
In the return match, Uphill only needed three points to secure the promotion they had worked hard for all season. Uphill’s Caroline Higgins and Billy Fear won their mixed doubles with Nailsea and Backwell winning the other two.
Uphill ladies Maureen Matthews, Higgins and Bethan Dunning won all their doubles to ensure promotion. Tom Higgins and Fear won their doubles, as did Fear and Glyn Davis.
This completes a successful season where Uphill C team are promoted to Division 2 for the first time in the club’s history.