Ashton blown away by Cheddar

CHEDDAR put in their best performance to blow away a strong Ashton & Backwell side, who were only a couple of places below them in the league at the start of the game.

Cheddar 3 Ashton & Backwell 0

CHEDDAR put in one of their best performances of the season to blow away a strong Ashton & Backwell side, who were only a couple of places below them in the league at the start of the game.

Cheddar started brightly and in the first five minutes Lewis Matthews terrorised the visitors’ right-back on three occasions, a pattern which continued throughout the first half and resulted in both the opening goals.

After a couple of minutes, Cheddar hit the bar for the first of six times in the game when Adam Jones header bounced away to safety.

You may also want to watch:

Jones was not to be denied though and soon afterwards outpaced the defence to score. Jones almost managed a contender for goal of the season a few minutes later when his 30-yard volley rattled the bar.

Jones was involved in Cheddar’s second goal when he went for a cross, but was beaten to it by a defender who headed into his own net. Soon afterwards Cheddar hit the post again Simon Panes crashed his shot against the upright.

Most Read

Cheddar continued to work hard, but were thankful to Ben Dancey for making a superb save. Cheddar brought on Rob Edwards for the impressive Adam Pearson, after he had played an excellent game, dominating midfield with the equally impressive Mike Kay and man of the match, Tom Manning.

Cheddar then hit the woodwork twice more before settling the game when Panes scored after a strong run.

Weston St Johns 2 Nailsea Utd Res 1

ST JOHNS returned to winning ways with a well-deserved Somerset County League Division 1 victory over Nailsea United.

Saints started the brighter with Levi Marlow and Juzzy Flavell both testing the keeper early on. Nailsea were restricted to counter attacks which were comfortably dealt with by Saints’ defenders Dean Pierson, Mark Hearne, Nick Jones, Ash Flavell and Matt Vann.

Nailsea took the lead when Saints gave away a needless free-kick just outside the area and a Nailsea player curled the ball into the top corner of the net giving keeper Joe Malik no chance.

Saints responded well to the setback and started to dominate. Marlow had a good run and shot that flew just wide and Flavell hit the post with a header from Jones’ inswinging corner.

The second half was much the same as Saints went in search of the equaliser. With James Wotton, Jack Clark, James Bennelick and Ryan Hodrien controlling midfield, chances came for Flavell and Marlow.

Saints got their equaliser when a good move involving Flavell and Clark ended with Wotton beating the keeper with a low shot. Marlow created two good chances for Hodrien, but he failed to hit the target.

At the other end, Malik made a superb save from when a Nailsea striker had a good chance following a rare attack. With 15 minutes to go, Marlow got the goal he deserved when he scored with a powerful header from a Jones corner.

Near the end, Saints had a good chance to seal the game when Mike Carpenter’s cross found Tino Constantinou unmarked in the area, but he blazed over the bar.

Bookers Wholesale player of the match was Dean Pierson.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus