Athletic back to winning ways with derby win
Weston Athletic got back to winning ways with a derby victory over Clevedon.
Clevedon 3rd XV 19 pts
Weston Athletic 52 pts
WESTON Athletic returned to winning ways with Saturday’s win over Clevedon.
Weston’s backs looked sharp from the outset and Berzins’ first run left Clevedon’s open side flanker unconscious. Play was held up for several minutes while the stricken player received medical attention from Clevedon’s physio.
You may also want to watch:
After play resumed, Weston continued to apply pressure which resulted in Cox touching down after a good forward drive. Filer’s conversion attempt was just wide, but he was on target a few minutes later with a penalty.
Burns was put through just three minutes later and on the half-hour, good work from forwards and backs saw Filer scamper through and touch down under the posts. He converted his own try and further pressure brought the bonus point try for Ben Craddock.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 6 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 7 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 8 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 9 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Within two minutes of the restart, Burns scorched through for his second try. Frost, who had taken over from Arnold, missed the conversion. Weston were soon attacking again and quickly recycled ball saw Prime race in for a try in the corner.
To their credit, Clevedon had not given up and crashed over for two quick tries. The Athletic re-took control and scored three tries from Cox, Filer, and then the best of the day from Prime.
Weston had already recycled the ball twice when good work by Berzins, Arnold, Cox, Trott, set up Prime for a score. Clevedon came back with a final effort, but the game was out of their reach.
This victory puts them in second place in Somerset 2 North and they will be going into their next game at home to Stothert and Pitt with confidence high.