Athletic gain revenge over Gordano
Weston Athletic defeated Gordano to gain revenge for a defeat earlier in the season.
WESTON Athletic were able to field a stronger side than in the previous meeting with Gordano earlier in the season and avenged a heavy defeat by winning 37-19.
Darran Wheatley’s made his 100th Athletic appearance and his son Tom was able to join his dad in the front row.
Gordano opened their account with a converted try. However, Weston hit back with a try by Jo McGrath. Further good work gave Filer an opportunity to cross for Weston’s second try under the posts. He converted his own try and Weston looked well positioned at 12-7 after the first quarter.
Weston kept up the pressure and following a penalty kick to touch and several drives by the forwards from the line-out, Craddock bullied his way over from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Gordano replied with a try before Filer kicked a penalty for a 20-14 half-time lead.
Hudson crossed for a try soon after the restart and against the run of play, Gordano scored another try. Following good pressure from a line-out in the Gordano 22, Craddock forced his way over for his second try.
- 1 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 4 End of busy summer with more events to look forward to
- 5 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 6 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruise past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 7 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 8 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 9 Proposal for 96 new homes in Cheddar
- 10 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
Gordano’s defence was under pressure and on the hour Dave Steele finished off a great move with a strong individual run and a try.
This seventh win this season puts the Athletic in fifth place in Somerset 2 North.