Athletic just short against Winscombe
Weston Athletic were just one score away from snatching a draw against Winscombe.
WESTON Athletic started this game with two new faces, Steve Mason and John Robinson and four Colts included in the line-up.
The game began at a fast pace with Winscombe’s young and well-drilled backs attacking well and they were rewarded with early tries and after 20 minutes they were in the lead by 21-0.
The Athletic gradually exerted some control in the forwards and good line kicking by Chapman allowed them to attack the Winscombe line. Chapman forced his way over for a try which he converted.
Just before half-time, Winscombe struck twice more to lead 33-7. Josh Wheeler had put in a number of excellent covering tackles which had prevented Winscombe from taking a bigger lead.
You may also want to watch:
After the break, more good line kicking allowed them to set up forward drives. Bush, who played a very prominent role in Weston’s attacks, scored from a catch and drive from a line-out, Chapman converting.
A few minutes later, Weston scored again as Winscombe infringed as Weston went for a pushover try and the referee awarded a penalty try, converted again by Chapman.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 4 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 5 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 6 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 7 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 8 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 9 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory
- 10 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
Weston kept up the pressure and the backs were released with quickly recycled ball and Ben James went over in the corner for a well-worked try. Chapman converted from the corner, leaving Athletic a single score from squaring the game.
Winscombe defended superbly and denied Weston despite several near misses in the last five minutes and Weston will be disappointed that they did not quite get the draw.