Athletic just short against Winscombe
Weston Athletic were just one score away from snatching a draw against Winscombe.
WESTON Athletic started this game with two new faces, Steve Mason and John Robinson and four Colts included in the line-up.
The game began at a fast pace with Winscombe’s young and well-drilled backs attacking well and they were rewarded with early tries and after 20 minutes they were in the lead by 21-0.
The Athletic gradually exerted some control in the forwards and good line kicking by Chapman allowed them to attack the Winscombe line. Chapman forced his way over for a try which he converted.
Just before half-time, Winscombe struck twice more to lead 33-7. Josh Wheeler had put in a number of excellent covering tackles which had prevented Winscombe from taking a bigger lead.
You may also want to watch:
After the break, more good line kicking allowed them to set up forward drives. Bush, who played a very prominent role in Weston’s attacks, scored from a catch and drive from a line-out, Chapman converting.
A few minutes later, Weston scored again as Winscombe infringed as Weston went for a pushover try and the referee awarded a penalty try, converted again by Chapman.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 3 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 4 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 5 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 6 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 7 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 8 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 9 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
- 10 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
Weston kept up the pressure and the backs were released with quickly recycled ball and Ben James went over in the corner for a well-worked try. Chapman converted from the corner, leaving Athletic a single score from squaring the game.
Winscombe defended superbly and denied Weston despite several near misses in the last five minutes and Weston will be disappointed that they did not quite get the draw.