Athletic no match for league leaders
Weston Athletic lost to league leaders Old Bristolians after several last-minute changes to their line-up.
Weston Athletic 3 pts
Old Bristolians 29 pts
WESTON Athletic took on the league leaders with some last-minute changes to their line-up.
Old Bristolians showed why they are leaders with a well organised and speedy opening. Their forwards looked too strong for Weston and their backs were quick, and ran great lines with skilful offloads.
You may also want to watch:
They scored their first try after four minutes and despite some resilient defence, they crossed for two more tries.
Weston looked to be taking a heavy beating, but skipper Walker rallied the troops and Weston’s defence stepped up a gear. Against the run of play, Old Bristolians scored a fourth try shortly before half-time when Weston were down to 14, with Walker in the bin.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
After the interval, Bryant in his last game for Weston, moved to hooker and stalwart Doughty made a welcome return to Weston colours at tight head, allowing Weston’s pack began to assert some authority.
With Walker back on the pitch, a series of short incisive drives saw Old Bristolians concede several penalties. When in range, Lomax was able to take advantage to get Weston on the score sheet.
Following a rapid breakout, OBs’ fly-half chipped to the corner and the winger beat the defence to score in the corner to secure a win their first-half performance deserved.