Athletic no match for league leaders
Weston Athletic lost to league leaders Old Bristolians after several last-minute changes to their line-up.
Weston Athletic 3 pts
Old Bristolians 29 pts
WESTON Athletic took on the league leaders with some last-minute changes to their line-up.
Old Bristolians showed why they are leaders with a well organised and speedy opening. Their forwards looked too strong for Weston and their backs were quick, and ran great lines with skilful offloads.
You may also want to watch:
They scored their first try after four minutes and despite some resilient defence, they crossed for two more tries.
Weston looked to be taking a heavy beating, but skipper Walker rallied the troops and Weston’s defence stepped up a gear. Against the run of play, Old Bristolians scored a fourth try shortly before half-time when Weston were down to 14, with Walker in the bin.
- 1 Man charged with rape and sexual assaults
- 2 Former Weston loanee Waite confirms Cardiff City departure
- 3 May 17: Restaurants reopen indoors and soft play areas welcome youngsters
- 4 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 5 May 17: Backwell pool reopens after £400k works
- 6 Rapid Covid testing service goes mobile to reach more people across North Somerset
- 7 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 8 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
- 9 Potter hails 'invaluable' Cheddar experience will help at Wells City
- 10 What can I do when Covid lockdown eases on May 17?
After the interval, Bryant in his last game for Weston, moved to hooker and stalwart Doughty made a welcome return to Weston colours at tight head, allowing Weston’s pack began to assert some authority.
With Walker back on the pitch, a series of short incisive drives saw Old Bristolians concede several penalties. When in range, Lomax was able to take advantage to get Weston on the score sheet.
Following a rapid breakout, OBs’ fly-half chipped to the corner and the winger beat the defence to score in the corner to secure a win their first-half performance deserved.