Athletic struggle against Clevedon
Weston Athletic struggled to contain a Clevedon pack, eventually losing 22-14.
Clevedon 3rd XV 22 pts
Weston Athletic 14 pts
FOR the second match in a row, Weston Athletic started with enough players, but with many playing out of position.
A brisk start from Weston saw McGrath make ground and slip a pass to McCarthy, who wriggled over for a try on four minutes, converted by Frost. The game was scrappy and bad tempered and Clevedon’s pack proved too heavy for the Athletic and they struggled all afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
Clevedon struck back with an unconverted try and scored another while Athletic were down to 14 men. However, Weston’s lively backs broke out and McCarthy scoring in the corner, with Frost again converting.
In the 16th minute of time added on, Clevedon battered their way over after a series of robust forward drives to make it 15-14 in favour of the home side.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 4 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 5 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 6 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 7 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 8 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 9 Man charged with possession of offensive weapon in village
- 10 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory
The second half continued to be dominated by Clevedon’s heavyweight pack and Weston defended stoutly. Clevedon crossed Weston’s line to take an eight-point lead, which they held to the end.