Athletic struggle against Clevedon
Weston Athletic struggled to contain a Clevedon pack, eventually losing 22-14.
Clevedon 3rd XV 22 pts
Weston Athletic 14 pts
FOR the second match in a row, Weston Athletic started with enough players, but with many playing out of position.
A brisk start from Weston saw McGrath make ground and slip a pass to McCarthy, who wriggled over for a try on four minutes, converted by Frost. The game was scrappy and bad tempered and Clevedon’s pack proved too heavy for the Athletic and they struggled all afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
Clevedon struck back with an unconverted try and scored another while Athletic were down to 14 men. However, Weston’s lively backs broke out and McCarthy scoring in the corner, with Frost again converting.
In the 16th minute of time added on, Clevedon battered their way over after a series of robust forward drives to make it 15-14 in favour of the home side.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
The second half continued to be dominated by Clevedon’s heavyweight pack and Weston defended stoutly. Clevedon crossed Weston’s line to take an eight-point lead, which they held to the end.