Athletic suffer narrow defeat
Weston Athletic suffered a narrow defeat away at Old Bristolians.
Old Bristolians 13 pts
Weston Athletic 5 pts
A much-changed side saw Weston Athletic travel to Old Bristolians seeking revenge for the narrow defeat earlier in the season.
With Mike McCarthy stepping in to play scrum-half and with veteran prop Mark Matthews at tight head, Athletic had Old Bristolians under pressure and conceding a penalty.
You may also want to watch:
Prime’s attempt went astray, but Athletic kept up the pressure with excellent work from the forwards. Sam Light was unlucky to miss out on a first senior try as he was held up over the line by desperate defence.
Shortly afterwards Denning opened the scoring when he pounced on a loose ball that had been caused by superb tight scrummaging.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 3 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 New leadership team for charity
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Weston continued to play well throughout the game, but the heavy pitch sapped their energy and the well-drilled and fit opposition managed to score twice in the last 10 minutes and were awarded a penalty right on 80 minutes to run out winners in a closely-contested game.
Referees rarely get a positive mention, but the official for this game was Mr Gibson, whose good humoured and knowledgeable approach with full explanations of decisions was much appreciated by both sides.