Avon skiers take on Everest challenge
- Credit: Archant
Members of Avon Ski Club took on the challenge to ski the equivalent height of Everest.
ON one of the hottest days of the year, 16 skiers from Avon Ski Club took part in a Ski Everest fundraiser.
Skiing the equivalent height of Everest, this involved 54 laps of the slope at Mendip Snowsport Centre, with the quickest to finish Lauren Black, taking three hours 40 minutes.
The fundraiser was in aid of Snowcamp, a registered charity, which brings the possibilities of snowsports to inner city and disadvantaged children, with the aim being to use this money in the North Somerset area.
The day itself was supported by Rossignol, one of the foremost suppliers of snowsport equipment, who provided a number of different skis to be tried out. The staff at Mendip Snowsport Centre lent a hand and ran the barbecue, and the many parents made the best use of the cafe and bar.
You may also want to watch:
Many thanks for all the helpers, Tina and Trevor Williams for co co-ordinating everything, Phil Comelio for being on hand to coral the finishers, and Peter Kennell for being the photographer on the day.
All those who completed the challenge received a commerative medal and a certificate, and a special prize was awarded to Max Schubert for raising the most sponsorship money.
- 1 Man charged with rape and sexual assaults
- 2 Former Weston loanee Waite confirms Cardiff City departure
- 3 May 17: Restaurants reopen indoors and soft play areas welcome youngsters
- 4 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 5 May 17: Backwell pool reopens after £400k works
- 6 Rapid Covid testing service goes mobile to reach more people across North Somerset
- 7 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 8 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
- 9 Potter hails 'invaluable' Cheddar experience will help at Wells City
- 10 What can I do when Covid lockdown eases on May 17?
With over £1,000 raised for Snowcamp, and a similar amount raised towards the purchase of some timing equipment, it was a truly memorable day. Thanks also go to Jaymart Flooring and Ski Basics for being supportive.