Avon skiers take on Everest challenge
- Credit: Archant
Members of Avon Ski Club took on the challenge to ski the equivalent height of Everest.
ON one of the hottest days of the year, 16 skiers from Avon Ski Club took part in a Ski Everest fundraiser.
Skiing the equivalent height of Everest, this involved 54 laps of the slope at Mendip Snowsport Centre, with the quickest to finish Lauren Black, taking three hours 40 minutes.
The fundraiser was in aid of Snowcamp, a registered charity, which brings the possibilities of snowsports to inner city and disadvantaged children, with the aim being to use this money in the North Somerset area.
The day itself was supported by Rossignol, one of the foremost suppliers of snowsport equipment, who provided a number of different skis to be tried out. The staff at Mendip Snowsport Centre lent a hand and ran the barbecue, and the many parents made the best use of the cafe and bar.
You may also want to watch:
Many thanks for all the helpers, Tina and Trevor Williams for co co-ordinating everything, Phil Comelio for being on hand to coral the finishers, and Peter Kennell for being the photographer on the day.
All those who completed the challenge received a commerative medal and a certificate, and a special prize was awarded to Max Schubert for raising the most sponsorship money.
- 1 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 2 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 5 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 6 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
With over £1,000 raised for Snowcamp, and a similar amount raised towards the purchase of some timing equipment, it was a truly memorable day. Thanks also go to Jaymart Flooring and Ski Basics for being supportive.