Away win for ladies
- Credit: Archant
Hornettes ladies beat Westbury in their first away game of the season.
HORNETTES ladies travelled to Westbury, Wiltshire, for their first away game of the season.
Hornettes opened the scoring after 10 minutes when prop Abbey Constable crashed over the Westbury line following a quick tap penalty. Westbury came back strongly and following a period of forward dominance, also scored from a short penalty move.
Both teams attacked with power and width, but could not quite get the final pass to hand. On the stroke of half-time, a Hornettes clearance was caught on the 22m line and ran back under the posts for Westbury to take a 12-5 lead.
Hornettes came back strongly in the second half and began to get to grips with the powerful Westbury pack and found space out wide. Marie-Ann Jenkins showed a turn of pace to run in two tries, Laura Clarke converting them both.
You may also want to watch:
Towards the end of the game, good play between the forwards and backs saw Sinead Boys pop the ball to inside centre Kim Sweeting, who wrongfooted the Westbury defence and ran in from 40m.
Westbury never gave up and Hornets spent the last 10 minutes of the game defending their line until the final whistle to record a 12-24 victory.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 7 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 8 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 9 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 10 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
Anyone wishing to play ladies rugby, please contact Emma on 07429 868505 or email Emma on email@example.com