Axbridge complete a league and cup double
- Credit: Archant
Axbridge Saxons Under-12s beat Backwell Athletic 5-0 in the cup final to complete and league and cup double.
Axbridge Saxons Under-12s secured a league and cup double with an emphatic 5-0 cup final win over Backwell Athletic.
It was Backwell who started the brighter, but Seth Delap, George Ham and Ben Connolly kept them at bay. Adam Bulman and Faith Bedford began to dominate midfield and developed some expansive plays. Josh Higgins made a strong run and his cross, just missing Max Helps, was headed back over the keeper by Harry Reid.
Helps had several chances before a shot from Bulman took a wicked bounce and left the keeper stranded. Saxons kept pushing forward and Delap had a long-range shot rattle the bar.
Axbridge started the second half positively, with Seb Parrott and Tobias Masters on for Higgins and Ham respectively and leaving Tom Vallance with little to do in the Saxon goal, while Reid gave way for Cameron Byrom.
You may also want to watch:
The changes paid off and Byrom soon notched up a brace with drives from the edge of the box. Max Selway put in a strong performance when replacing Parrot and further changes saw James Carwardine, Johnny Taylor and Oliver Cross make appearances in the final quarter.
Athletic were punished by a sweet volley by Carwardine, notching up his first goal in four years to finish the scoring.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 3 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 4 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 5 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 6 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 7 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
- 8 Number of homes in major development could be reduced as amended plans submitted
- 9 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 10 FA Cup: Weston AFC drawn to play Dorking Wanderers in third qualifying round
Partners in Packaging man of the match was Adam Bulman.
Banwell Under-13s became only the second-ever Banwell youth side to go through the season winning all their matches, as they made it a perfect 14 wins.
Banwell won the match 6-1 against Cheddar Valley Jets with goals from striker Dylan Lyons, winger Charlie Hathway, centre-back Cameron Morgan-Roberts, and a hat-trick from star winger Jack Starling, to give him an amazing 50 goals on the season.
There were jubilant scenes at the end of the match as players, managers and parents celebrated an incredible season.
The Allseas Global man of the match was awarded to the whole side.