Axbridge fab five make a splash
- Credit: Archant
Five children from Axbridge took part in the Splash and Dash at Burnham Swim and Sports Academy, with three coming away with trophies.
FIVE children from Axbridge took part in the Splash and Dash at Burnham Swim and Sports Academy, with three coming away with trophies.
Ellen Campbell and Ed Hardman picked up third prize in the eight-and-under girls’ and boy’s categories, while Ruth Day achieved the same honour in the girls’ 10-and-unders.
The Splash and Dash is run twice a year and competitors in the eight-and-under category swim 50 metres before running 500 metres on the beach, while the 10-and-unders swim 75 metres and run 750 metres.
The girls’ eight-and-unders were the first to swim with Ellen Campbell and Megan McClumpha from Axbridge First School Academy coming home together in an excellent time of 49 seconds. Schoolmate Ed Hardman competed next, swimming a personal best time of 58 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
Abigail Campbell and Ruth Day, who both attend Fairlands Middle School in Cheddar, were next up in the 10-and-unders completing the 75 metres in one minute 20 seconds and 1.17 respectively.
In the beach run, Ellen Campbell came home fourth in a time of 2.02, with Megan McClumpha just 11 seconds behind. Ed Hardman ran an impressive race finishing second in a field of 24, with a time of 1.55.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
Ruth Day completed the 750 metres in 2.58 ahead of Abigail Campbell.
Ellen Campbell and Megan McClumpha finished third and seventh overall in the eight-and-under girls, the largest category with 25 competitors. Ed Hardman was third in the eight-and-under boys.
Ruth Day finished third in the girls’ 10-and-unders with Abigail Campbell seventh in a field of 18.
It was the biggest field seen at a Burnham Splash and Dash and the competitors enjoyed strong support from family and friends.