Axbridge fab five make a splash
- Credit: Archant
Five children from Axbridge took part in the Splash and Dash at Burnham Swim and Sports Academy, with three coming away with trophies.
FIVE children from Axbridge took part in the Splash and Dash at Burnham Swim and Sports Academy, with three coming away with trophies.
Ellen Campbell and Ed Hardman picked up third prize in the eight-and-under girls’ and boy’s categories, while Ruth Day achieved the same honour in the girls’ 10-and-unders.
The Splash and Dash is run twice a year and competitors in the eight-and-under category swim 50 metres before running 500 metres on the beach, while the 10-and-unders swim 75 metres and run 750 metres.
The girls’ eight-and-unders were the first to swim with Ellen Campbell and Megan McClumpha from Axbridge First School Academy coming home together in an excellent time of 49 seconds. Schoolmate Ed Hardman competed next, swimming a personal best time of 58 seconds.
You may also want to watch:
Abigail Campbell and Ruth Day, who both attend Fairlands Middle School in Cheddar, were next up in the 10-and-unders completing the 75 metres in one minute 20 seconds and 1.17 respectively.
In the beach run, Ellen Campbell came home fourth in a time of 2.02, with Megan McClumpha just 11 seconds behind. Ed Hardman ran an impressive race finishing second in a field of 24, with a time of 1.55.
- 1 Man charged with rape and sexual assaults
- 2 Former Weston loanee Waite confirms Cardiff City departure
- 3 May 17: Restaurants reopen indoors and soft play areas welcome youngsters
- 4 May 17: Backwell pool reopens after £400k works
- 5 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 6 Rapid Covid testing service goes mobile to reach more people across North Somerset
- 7 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 8 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
- 9 Potter hails 'invaluable' Cheddar experience will help at Wells City
- 10 What can I do when Covid lockdown eases on May 17?
Ruth Day completed the 750 metres in 2.58 ahead of Abigail Campbell.
Ellen Campbell and Megan McClumpha finished third and seventh overall in the eight-and-under girls, the largest category with 25 competitors. Ed Hardman was third in the eight-and-under boys.
Ruth Day finished third in the girls’ 10-and-unders with Abigail Campbell seventh in a field of 18.
It was the biggest field seen at a Burnham Splash and Dash and the competitors enjoyed strong support from family and friends.