Ayden leads the try scoring list

Hornets Under-11s travelled to Dursley and returned home with an emphatic victory.

HORNETS Under-11s travelled to Dursley to be entertained by a team with a large squad of 30 players.

In all, four 15 minute quarters were played. The Hornets produced an excellent team performance throughout, with 13 tries being scored and only conceding one.

The try scoring was led by Ayden Chenoweth with three, Charlie Fairhurst (2) and Ethan Loveridge, Luke Collins, Tom Cattermole, Lois Bird, Eddie Williams, Bradley Lucas, Owen Brake and a popular first try of the season for Sebastian Wood.

There were some noticeable performances from Joe Frost, Amy Coles, Lockie Carver-Cox, Rhys Clarke, Conner Hill, Jack Weaving, Thomas Howling, Oscar Browne and especially from Nathan Langdon, who played superbly in several different positions. Final score 65-5 to Hornets.

You may also want to watch:

The Under-16s saw themselves safely through to the next round of the Somerset Cup with a six try victory away at Midsomer Norton.

An accurate and purposeful start led to a try for Conor Littlewood, who dived over for the opening score. Simple rugby played at pace led to Hornets’ next two scores by Sam Balkham.

Most Read

Alex Colborne was next on the scoresheet for Hornets when he proved too strong for three Norton defenders as he powered over. He was soon adding the fifth try with a similar effort after John Xanh and Craig Nicholls had both gone close.

After the break, Curtis Hobbs was sin binned for persistent infringements, but Balkham managed to complete his second hat-trick in two weeks to score Hornets solitary try of the second half.

Fly-half Craig Nicholls pulled the strings and their defence worked hard with Josh Wheeler, Kieran Ward and Adam Thompson excelling. George Greatbanks, Joe Howe, John Xanh and Alex Perkins all had strong games, but outstanding prop Ben Reseigh was named SC 24/7 Plumbing and Building Services man of the match.

This year, Hornets are celebrating the club’s 50th anniversary and it is fitting that the mini section has formed a new squad for its youngest members.

Over the past couple of seasons, the Hornets Under-7 squad has seen an increasing number of players under the age of six. With this in mind, the mini and junior section have decided to form an Under-6 squad.

With players as young as three and numbers in excess of 14 turning up every Sunday morning, it is all about fun and getting muddy.

All new players welcome. Just contact a member of the coaching team or feel free to turn up on a Sunday morning at 10am.

For more information see the Hornets Pitchero webpage - www.pitchero.com/clubs/hornetsrfc/m/team-info-57382.html

The Under-8s travelled to Dursley to compete in three matches, winning one, losing one and drawing one.

The first game was played on a small pitch and all players struggled to find space, the match ending in a 4-4 draw.

The second game was on a larger pitch and the players enjoyed the space. In a good all-round performance, Hornets lost 7-5.

With the weather improving for the third match, both Hornets and Dursley played at a faster pace, with more tagging and plenty of action, with Hornets running out narrow 8-7 winners.

In a solid team effort, all players deserve praise. Well done to Alexander, James and Charley for scoring tries and to Daniel and Lewis for some outstanding tagging.

WESTON Under-10s gave two stunning performances away at Chew Valley.

The first game started well with Jack Press zigzagging through the Chew line and unselfishly offloading to Ethan Williams to score his first of the day. What followed was a real team performance with tries coming from Lewis Patterson (2), Liam Horsnell, Hayden Main and a further two from Williams to finish the game 7-1 up.

The second game was a harder affair, but Weston continued to reap the rewards of possession provided by the strong tackling and rucking of Billy Howells and Joe Connolly.

The hard work up front was aided by Taylor Kingston and Rhys Harford helping to produce quick ball leading to a series of tries. Super defence from Dan Meaden meant that Chew could only muster three in response to Weston’s five.

The Under-11s took on Old Reds in their first game. The Weston forwards were swift and strong at the breakdown and the backs led by Matthew Ogborne, moved the ball at pace which soon saw James Feltwell over the line.

Old Reds equalised early in the second half, but Weston continued to play well with Joe Ham and Huw Pearse making good runs, and Josh Edwards, Reece White and Harrison Land making powerful drives.

Finally quick work by Jack Schafer at the scrum sent Joe Harper over the line for the winning try.

Weston then played Chew Valley and although tired and three tries behind, they went down fighting with Harrison Land leading the way.

Weston regained form in the second half and soon scored, but although they prevented Chew Valley from scoring again, it was too late to win the game.

Man of the day was Harrison Land.

The Under-9s travelled to Chew Valley to play a three-way tie with Old Reds, winning one and losing one. In the first game they were beaten by Chew Valley, who showed more aggression at the breakdown.

Conceding eight tries without reply was not a disgrace and Weston may have scored with a little more passing to supporting players. Many players showed great commitment in the tackle. In particular Lewis Hughes, Alfie Calcott, Page Nigh and Dylan Way impressed.

In the second game all that commitment paid off, as Weston ran in eight tries themselves through Alfie Calcott (2), Bradley Robinson (2), Page Nigh (2), Dylan Way and Louis Boon.

The tackle counts were even more impressive with the referee making the team work for their win. Only two players did not register a tackle and many made five or more. Huge contributions also came from Joel Briffitt, Charlie Harding, George Charlambous.

The most improved player was Louis Boon, but the performance of the day went to Jamie Meaden.

The Under-16s enjoyed a hard-earned victory over Bristol Saracens.

In the first half, Weston absorbed early pressure, but the defence held strong. Midway through the half Weston unleashed wing Jack Bridgman from deep for a 70 metre run in which he handed off three defenders before scoring in the corner.

Weston almost scored again when Conner Sweeney was stopped just short of the line. Saracens managed to cling onto half-time with a series of last ditch tackles to prevent further Weston scores.

After the break, Weston extended their lead through a Chapman penalty and a further try from Bridgman. Saracens struck back and scored to make the score 13-5, but Weston’s response was immediate.

Chapman’s excellent re-start resulted in a Weston line-out on the Saracens line from which Weston executed the play of the match sending Sam Wilce over to score, with Chapman adding the conversion.

Weston now dominated the game and Bridgman was sent clear again to score his third try of the match after excellent approach play, Chapman adding the conversion.

To Saracens credit they hit back strongly in the final five minutes and scored two tries to make the final score 27-15.

The Under-7s travelled to Chew Valley to play both Chew and Old Reds.

First up was Chew Valley and Weston were out of the blocks quickly with the first score to Jacob Simpson. Next to score was William Flavin, aided from some great passing from the rest of the team.

Chew restarted and spilled the ball and George Nuttycombe scored to make it 3-0. Chew regrouped and scored just before the break.

In the second half there were a couple of quick scores from Chew due to Weston losing the ball, but they still pushed and there was some excellent tagging from Simpson, Flavin and Nuttycombe.

Ben Crook showed his pace once again and scored. Chew scored two more and a further two scores from Nuttycombe took the score to 6-3, giving a well-deserved win.

The next match against Old Reds was a close encounter. Weston got off to a good start with George Ashley Jones scoring his first of the day. Old Reds replied quickly before Nuttycombe scored from the restart.

Old Reds replied again and Weston’s third try was scored by Crook to take them to the break 3-2 up.

In the second half, there was great tagging by both sides and Simpson scored from the halfway line. Tom Collard showed his persistence and prevented a try with a great tag, but Old Reds scored again to make it 4-4.

In the last play of the game, Weston spilled the ball and Old Reds capitalised and scored in the last minute to finish the match 5-4 to Old Reds.

YATTON and Cheddar Under-15s hosted Minehead in the Somerset Cup and went on to win 49-7.

The home side took the lead from a quick penalty, Tom Patch setting up James Edwards to crash over. From the restart, Yatton worked their way to within 15 yards of the Minehead line. From a scrum, James Edwards crashed over again, converted by Jack Edwards.

Ross Henderson scored next from 20 yards out, soon followed by his second from a tap penalty. From the restart, the backs got on the act with good play from Mike Gain and Nathan Jones, who sent Kody Mortimer clear to score.

Another good restart saw Christian Newman touch down, soon followed by another try for James Edwards. Both tries converted by Jack Edwards.

Jones then sprinted nearly half the length of the field to score, again converted by Jack Edwards. With the game albeit won, Yatton made a number of changes, allowing Minehead to score a well-deserved try that was converted to make the final score 49-7.

The Under-8s travelled to Clevedon and took part in two tremendous games of rugby, both a tale of two halves.

The first match saw Yatton take control in the first half. Good hands, great support and the lots of tagging saw them 6-4 at the break. Clevedon came back after the break, returning the compliment to make the final score 8-8.

In the second match, it was Clevedon who made the running and dominated early and at the halfway mark they were 6-3 up.

Yatton upped their game with a great fightback and the final try of the game. Unfortunately the gap was too great and the final score saw the hosts edge it 9-8.

A special mention to Adam Foley, who had his best game of the season.

Yatton try scorers: Adam Foley (8), Conner Kane (3), Matthew Bailey, Ben Clarke, Caleb Clarke, Cameron Fogg and Joe Galey.

WINSCOMBE Under-13s travelled to Yatton and spectators were treated to an open running game, with the visitors running out 41-0 winners.

Winscombe laid a marker early on, taking two scrums against the head. Tails up, they converted the early pressure into points when Alfie Light crossed the line. Will MacArthur duly converted.

Good runs by Sam White and George Marsh took Winscombe deep into home territory. Marsh popped the ball up to Adam Elkins who scored under the posts, allowing MacArthur an easy conversion. Winscombe finished the half on top with Conner Wall and Light making good ground.

The second half started with Winscombe chasing the kick off and Tristan Greene diving over the try line, only to have the ball knocked out of his hands.

Winscombe’s forwards started to dominate and successive drives saw them cross the try line, but were adjudged held up. From the scrum, Joe Hartshorne set the ball for Marsh to score in the corner.

From the kick off, centre Light ran straight back at Yatton and scored in the corner. Winscombe took control of the remaining quarter of the game, with Tom Amer scoring the next try.

The next score was a team effort. Greene ran deep into the home side’s half, offloaded to Marsh who passed to Callum Edwards. He was driven over the line by the supporting Josh Hunt to score Winscombe’s sixth try. Light rounded off the day with his third try of the game.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus