Bad lights prevents penalty shoot-out between Banwell and Burnham

Milton Nomads Under-7s.

Milton Nomads Under-7s. - Credit: Archant

Banwell Under-15s and Burnham United were locked in a draw in the cup, but bad light prevented penalties being taken.

AFTER beating Division 1 side Winscombe in the last round, Banwell Under-15s, entertained another top league team, Burnham United.

Burnham had the upper hand in the opening minutes and the lead after hitting the post and bar, before being poked over the line. Banwell equalised with a stunning strike by Kaan Berk and could have been two or three up by half-time.

In the second half, Burnham were awarded a penalty, but Logan Carmichael-Coombs made a great save to keep the home side in the game.

However, with five minutes to go, Banwell’s back line got caught square and Burnham went 2-1 up. With 30 seconds to go, an inswinging corner was met by Tom White to equalise.

You may also want to watch:

Extra time could not separate the two teams and with bad light preventing penalties, the game will now be replayed.

FC LOCKING Under-9s are the undefeated winners of the SNYFL (Somerset North Youth Football League) Solo Division.

Most Read

For one month, every Saturday, FC Locking and many other local teams competed in the tournament at Weston Football Club. On average they played four games each week and during the tournament, FC Locking drew two games and won all of their other fixtures.

This season FC Locking are sponsored by Hobbs and Webb Estate Agents for their match kit and Morrisons have sponsored their wet tops.

All of the team are pictured with the winners trophy. Each player was also awarded a medal to celebrate their magnificent achievement.

UPHILL Castle Under-16s continued their fine form with an impressive 6-1 win at Cheddar to move them up to second in the table.

The first-half was pretty even until a Cheddar defender brought Lucas Elliman down in the box and he stepped up to slot the ball home. Owen White made it 2-0 from Callum Abraham’s free kick, as he hit home the rebound.

Uphill controlled the second half, as Elliman earned a second penalty as he was fouled in the box and Owen converted the spot kick. Cheddar pulled one back to make it 3-1.

Elliman bagged a second half hat-trick with three great goals. The first came after great work down the wing by McKenna and his cross was headed into the empty net.

Elliman hit a great 18-yard effort over the keeper’s head and a nice assist from Bradbury set up his fourth and Uphill’s sixth as his half-volley was fumbled by the keeper as it went into the goal.

Seymour Roofing man of the match was Lucas Elliman.

MILTON Nomads Under-14s continued their winning ways with a fine 10-3 away win at Nailsea United.

Nomads started well and were rewarded when Ryan Pugh scored the opener. Following a good shot from Dean Chrisostomou, which the keeper saved, Matthew Frost forced home the rebound.

Nailsea struck back with a fine goal, but Nomads continued to push forward and when Jacob Flavell was brought down in the box, Pugh calmly slotted home the resulting penalty. Two further goals from Flavell and Drew Hodges saw a 5-1 half-time lead for Nomads.

In the second half, the defence of Charlie Woodards, Lewis Milkins, Tyler Pooley and Jack Rickwood held firm, as the midfield George Harris-Aucott, Avasi Lucas and Sam Parkinson continued to drive Nomads forward.

Further goals from Cai Williams, Lewis Barber, Matthew and Hodges and Pugh, saw Nomads run out 10-3 winners.

Man of the match went to Lewis Milkins.

MILTON Nomads Under-7s were presented with a brand new football strip, courtesy of Pursuit Training. The lads are looked after by dedicated manager Andy Coombs and his army of helpers. Andy said: “Everyone was delighted with the new kit and we are very grateful to Pursuit Training,” said Andy.

AFTER last week’s defeat to Portishead Juniors, Weston Town Under-13s played at home against Portishead Youth.

Weston looked hungry to avenge last week’s defeat and took just 11 minutes to get going, Thomas finished nicely after being put through by Large.

As the first-half continued, Portishead barely threatened the back three of Sharp, Manaton and Swires, while the defensive midfield pair of Murphy and Kelly made Portishead work for every ball.

In a more attacking role, Pritchet and Heal got things moving going forward and were ably assisted by Large and Thomas on the wings, with Bambury playing as the lone striker.

As the second half got underway, Weston again started quickly, with Heal making it

2-0 just two minutes in. A few minutes later, Heal scored again, but Portishead scored directly from a corner with Snell unlucky not to reach it, making the score 3-1.

Silcox, Maidment and Grimes came on and shortly after, a neat layback from Heal to Large made it 4-1. A good run and finish from Thomas made it 5-1 with 10 minutes still to play.

Grimes went close to making it six, before Heal completed his hat-trick with a sublime turn and finish to make the final score 6-1.

Man of the match went to Archie Heal.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter