Banwell & Churchill clinch second successive league title
- Credit: Archant
Banwell & Churchill have won their second league title in two years, with victory against East Huntspill.
BANWELL & Churchill played their latest Division 5 match at home to East Huntspill.
After winning the toss, Brett Diver put EH into bat and the visitors struggled for runs on a green looking wicket. Tight bowling from Dom Bush and Andy Brooks kept them down to 26-0 off the first 15 overs.
Bush got the break through in the 16th over bowling Hancock for hard fought 14. Diver turned to his spin option of Mark Biggs (2-33) who took two wickets in three overs, leaving Huntspill on 54-3 off 27 overs.
Kevin Burgess (1-31) returned to the first team after a long absence and was rewarded with the key wicket of Pomeroy for 24. Brooks (2-21) and Bush (1-37) returned at the end to keep Huntspill down to 143-6 off their 45 overs.
You may also want to watch:
In reply, Biggs and Gareth Lloyd got Banwell off to a steady start. After 22 overs, they were 63-0 and well on course for victory when panic struck. Wickets tumbled regularly and were in trouble.
Lloyd (16), Biggs (39) both fell to poor shots, before Gale (16) was the first of four run outs. Carter (21) and Adams (5) were also shoddy between the wickets as Banwell were reduced to 108-5 off 36 overs.
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 3 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 4 Girl, 11, suffers serious injuries after collision with car
- 5 Mural nears completion in Weston
- 6 Christmas panto cancelled due to tier three restrictions
- 7 Which services will be open and closed during tier three in North Somerset?
- 8 Lockdown chef launches cook-along YouTube channel
- 9 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 10 Weston College principal receives award on BBC television show
Bebber (5) was bowled and Burgess (4) was lbw and at seven down, Huntspill were on top. Brooks (2) was run out and it was left to Diver (13 not out) and Bush (11 not out) to see Banwell home.
With Trull losing, it now means Banwell & Churchill are the Division 5 champions and have back-to-back championships to their name with two games to spare.
THE 2nd XI gained promotion from their division with victory at Leigh-on-Mendip.
The 32 points gained from this victory meant that second place was confirmed and a win at home to Uphill Castle on Saturday should see them finish as winners of their division.
They were invited by their hosts to bat first and struggled for runs until Chris Langley (50) and Dave Eckett (27) put together a good partnership for the fourth wicket. Thirty extras also helped their cause as they were bowled out for 151.
However, Leigh-on-Mendip batted poorly and were bowled out for just 56 to give Banwell victory by 91 runs.
All four bowlers used took wickets. Neil Duncan took two, John Biggs (2-22), Mike Pye (2-18) and Dave Eckett (3-1).