Banwell & Churchill enjoy comfortable victory at Cheddar
- Credit: Archant
Banwell & Churchill enjoyed a comfortabale derby victory at Cheddar.
BANWELL & Churchill travelled to Cheddar for their latest Division 4 Somerset League match.
Stand-in captain Andy Brooks won the toss and decided to bat first on an unpredictable looking wicket. Brad Carter and Gareth Lloyd opened up, but Carter got a second ball duck.
New signing Jacob Gayle made his debut and steadied the ship with Lloyd at the other end looking solid. The pair moved the score on nicely to 50 when Gayle was bowled for a well played 39.
Masters came and went without troubling the scorers before Jones and Lloyd both made 34 before both were dismissed. Banwell had reached 114-5 with 10 overs remaining.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Biggs scored an excellent 39 in the latter stages and with help from Gayle (9), Kulkarni (2) and Brooks (7 not out), took the total to 182-7. For Cheddar, Llewellyn was the pick of the bowlers with 3-52.
After tea, Brooks made the breakthrough with Dowden (8) edging to keeper Jones. The next was a fine caught and bowled, followed by two deliveries to dismiss Houghton (13) and Stevens (5).
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 7 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 8 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Two charged with burglary and fraud
Bush came back and took the next two wickets, one a stunning catch from Foulkes as Cheddar were reduced to 48-6. Brooks took the next two wickets thanks to catches by Jones and Biggs.
Only Edmonds (22) showed any resilience, hitting Brooks for three boundaries in a row, before Brooks removed him lbw and the last batsman to finish with 8-38. Bush finished with 2-28 as Cheddar were bowled out for 70.
On Saturday, Banwell & Churchill are athome to Leigh-on-Mendip with a 1.30pm start.