Banwell & Churchill register first victory
- Credit: Archant
Banwell & Churchill registered their first victory of the season at home to Staplegrove.
BANWELL & Churchill took on Staplegrove looking for their first victory in Division 4.
After losing the toss, Banwell were put into bat on a lovely summer’s day. Lloyd (6) was first to go, playing onto his stumps, followed two ball later by Jones (0).
Carter was joined at the crease by Olly Masters and the pair started to open up and running their singles well. Masters (80) hit five sixes and with Carter also hitting 80, the pair took Banwell to a good score.
The lower order all chipped in with vital runs, Gale (29) the stand-out as the home side finished on 224-7.
You may also want to watch:
After tea, Staplegrove went into bat knowing they had to score quick runs. Brooks and Bush opened the bowling with the latter making the break hrough, thanks to a fine catch by Jones at slip.
Bishop and Grove took Staplegrove into a good position until skipper Brett Diver turned to Foukes for some inspiration. Foukes (4-26) didn’t let him down and bowled Bishop for a decent 42 with his first ball.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 4 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 5 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 6 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 7 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 8 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 9 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory
- 10 Man charged with possession of offensive weapon in village
He went on to claim three more wickets and with help from Kulkarni (3-26) and Brooks (0-29, took the sting out of the reply.
After this, the visitors were way behind and finished on 162-8 as Banwell won the match by 62 runs, collecting 33 points.
On Saturday, Banwell are away to Cheddar 2nds with a 1.30pm start.