Banwell & Churchill return home with the points
Banwell & Churchill returned from Staplegrove with an excellent 44-run victory.
BANWELL & Churchill travelled to Staplegrove for their latest Division 4 match.
After winning the toss, Brett Diver decided to bat first on a firm looking track. B Carter and J Jones opened the batting and got off to decent start.
With the team 35-0 and going well, Banwell were reduced to 45-4 after T Robins took 3-0 in one over.
M Biggs was still there though and he was joined by the skipper B Diver. The weather was turning wet & just before they came off for rain, Diver (12) nicked one to Newman & Grove were well on top.
You may also want to watch:
After a 20 minute delay for rain, M Biggs and M Bebber started to re-build the Banwell innings and took the score to 110 before Biggs was out for 37. A Foulkes hit a quick 23, well backed up by Bebber (15) and D Chard (11).
It was left to A Brooks (15) and G Kulkarmi (12 not out) to take Banwell to 183 all out.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 3 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 4 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 5 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 6 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 7 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 10 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
After tea, Brooks (1-24) made the first breakthrough on 40. It was Biggs who turned the game back Banwell’s way with some delightful spin bowling. He picked up two wickets in quick succession and with Kulkarni at the other end keeping it tight, the visitors were in command.
Biggs (4-19) and Kulkarni (1-25) helped reduced Staplegrove to 86-6.
The spin twins of Diver (0-19) and Carter (1-22) were introduced later on bowled Grove out for 139 in the 45th over with the help of a couple of run outs.
Banwell & Churchill move up to fourth place still have an outside chance of finishing in the top three.
On Saturday, they are at home to Cheddar with a 1.30pm start.