Banwell earn maximum points
Both Banwell sides earned maximum points after victories for both teams.
BANWELL and Churchill Cricket Club finally got their season underway and both of their Somerset League teams recorded wins and each took maximum points.
The 1st XI travelled to Barton St David bowled their hosts out for 89 and then scored the runs in quick time to win by five wickets. Veteran John Biggs was the pick of the bowlers taking 5-29. He was supported by Kevin Burgess, who was making his debut for the club taking 3-28 and Mark Biggs taking 2-30.
Mark also scored 20 not out when he batted and Kevin (12 not out) to see the visitors to victory. Earlier Liam Wakefield, also making his 1st team debut, scored 13 and captain Dave Pye 19.
The 2nd XI also fielded first in their match and bowled their visitors Wedmore A out for just 69. Robbie Maggs on his debut for the club took 3-13, vice-captain Neil Duncan took 3-26 and Rob Salter 4-13.
You may also want to watch:
In reply, the home side knocked off the runs in quick time with another new player to the club, Jake Mawford, striking the ball well to score 36 not out. He and Mike Legg (14) put on 58 for the first wicket Banwell won by seven wickets.
The club at present is on a high, having recently installed both pitch covers and sightscreens at their ground in Churchill. In addition, significant improvements have been made to the pavilion.
- 1 Gates to be replaced as work continues to reopen Marine Lake
- 2 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 3 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 4 Disruption to school transport due to driver shortage
- 5 Council issues advice after collapse of energy companies
- 6 North Somerset runners get ready for London Marathon
- 7 Procession held at beach memorial to give thanks to NHS
- 8 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 9 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 10 Go Again complete sponsored walk from Ashton Gate to Optima
However, the club is always on the lookout for new players of all ages and ability. Anyone interested in joining this improving club should phone the secretary on 01934 832320.