Banwell go top after beating previous leaders
- Credit: Archant
Banwell & Churchill top Division 5 of the Somerset League after defeating previous leaders Trull.
TRULL entertained Banwell & Churchill in the Division 5 top of the table clash.
After winning the toss, Brett Diver decided to bat on a green wicket. Jermaine Jones and Gareth Lloyd opened the batting and put on 25 before Jones was caught for 11. Brad Carter attacked from the start, but on 21 he took a blow to his elbow and had to retire hurt with the score on 58-1 off 13 overs.
Lloyd (40) was joined by Bryant (19), but both were caught, leaving Banwell 146-3 off 36 overs. Mark Biggs smashed the ball to all parts to score a quick 44 and Matt Bebber continued his fine season with 21.
Carter returned to the crease and with Diver, they both went on the warpath with Diver (15) smashing a huge six out of the ground and Carter hitting 11 boundaries in his 50 not out as Banwell finished on 231-7.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Brooks and Dom Bush opened the bowling and it was Bush who made the first breakthrough in his opening over. Brooks (2-12) got in on the act by taking two wickets, before Bush took another wicket to leave Trull on 30-4.
Duncan came on to take an early wicket and the match went away from Trull as Biggs (2-27), Duncan (1-17) and Diver (1-20) all cashed in on wickets before Bush (3-27) returned to complete an outstanding 113-run victory.
- 1 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 2 A look back on the history of Churchill FC
- 3 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 4 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 5 Bristol Airport welcomes new testing strategy for arrivals
- 6 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 7 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 8 Call for improved infrastructure in North Somerset to aid economic recovery
- 9 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 10 Grant to provide accommodation for rough sleepers in North Somerset
Banwell picked up the maximum 35 points, going top in the process with a seven-point lead and a game in hand. On Saturday, Banwell are away to Mark with a 2pm start.