Basement battle for Weston

Weston come out on top in their basement battle against Cirencester.

WESTON battled to an important win against fellow strugglers Cirencester, ending a losing run which had threatened to become terminal.

Weston started the match well applying early pressure and were unlucky to have two goals ruled out in the first 10 minutes. They paid the price for their failure to make the pressure count when Cirencester went one up halfway through the first half.

Shortly after conceding, Weston managed to strike back, Matt Bearsby playing a ball through to captain Chris Fletcher-Cullum. His shot was deflected by the keeper into the path of Alex Frankpitt who netted. Despite this brief comeback, Weston conceded again to finish the half 2-1 down.

At the beginning of the second half, Weston came out a different team. Within minutes, great work from Dave Holland and Frankpitt led to a defence splitting pass to Fletcher-Cullum, whose skilful turn and pass saw Adam Childs equalise.

You may also want to watch:

More good work from the midfield and a great pass from CJ Neate led to Fletcher-Cullum giving Weston a 3-2 lead. Cirencester fought back and the game became increasingly intense as Sam Neate saw his second yellow of the game and Dave Beer saw his first of the season.

Cirencester equalised, but once again succumbed after a skilful run from Fletcher-Cullum led to a short corner. For once, the Weston routine proved successful as Fletcher-Cullum scored. Overall a deserved, but extremely hard fought victory that Weston desperately needed.

Most Read

Following an inconclusive vote for the Sytner Mercedes man of the match award, with equal votes being shared between Fletcher-Cullum, Holland and Frankpitt, the captain declared himself the man of the match.

Yate B 1 Weston A 4

Weston travelled to Yate and came away with a 4-1 win. The visitors took the lead when Kearsey was fouled in the D, who then converted.

Yate rallied after this and Hartley in goal was called on to make a couple of saves. Shortly before half-time and with good play from Ninnis and Skinner, Chris Etchells’ effort was touched over the line by Kearsey.

After the break, Weston kept the pressure with good attacking play involving Cam Slater. Kearsey got his hat-trick with a fine goal, but Weston allowed Yate back into the game.

Despite two great saves by Hartley, Yate scored from one corner after Cates made an awful tackle for which he received a green card.

From the restart, Kearsey pulled the ball back in the D for Lucas to pick his spot and make it 4-1 to Weston.

Mercedes Benz of Weston man of the match was Paul Ninnis.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter