Basement club no match for rampant Weston

Hockey Westonv Bristol Uni.

Hockey Westonv Bristol Uni. - Credit: Archant

Bottom club Mid Somerset were no match for league leaders Weston, who put 13 goals past the basement club.



WESTON entertained bottom of the league Mid Somerset and despite missing inspirational coach Gary Blyth, marched on and won 13-1 in a one-sided game.

The game started with Weston on the front foot and a great solo run by leading scorer Hancock led him in slotting the ball into the bottom corner.

You may also want to watch:

Kearsey, who has recently had trials for the West of England Over-40s, was flying down the right-hand side and found Heal, who got his first goal of the game.

Weston won their first short corner of the match and with Jake Turner injured, it was left up to Neate to take the drag flick. Neate, who has recently been frustrated with his short corner success rate, was able to send the ball flashing past the keeper into the corner of the goal.

Most Read

Beer, Brees and Hector were having fine games at the back. However, just before half-time, Hancock was in unknown territory and gave away a penalty flick. Mid Somerset dispatched this with ease, leaving keeper Bryant no chance.

Weston went into the break 5-1 up and a stern team talk with stand-in coach Larry Mount shook the team up and they were raring to go.

Hancock and Neate were linked up brilliantly and left the keeper no chance with Hancock’s fourth and fifth of the match.

Man of the match Watkins constantly picked holes in the Mid Somerset’s midfield and found Heal, who smashed the ball home, leaving the keeper no chance.

Watkins earned Weston their third shot corner of the game and with a near perfect stop by Kearsey, Hancock was able to drag flick the ball under the keeper’s foot.

Hancock quickly followed up with one more goal which included great work by Etchells and McCarthy, who both had fine games.

Weston played well, however, they are under no illusions what a tough task they have in order to keep their unbeaten record intact.

Weston are playing South Gloucestershire in their final game of the season on Saturday at Priory School, 2pm start.

Weston 2nd XI 4

South Glos B 0

THE seconds entered their last home game of the season knowing only a win would do against lowly South Gloucester if they were to keep their slim chances of a promotion alive.

The visitors’ long-ball tactics had the Weston defence of Westcott, Duckett and Mount being pulled all over the park, allowing South Glos plenty of space in which to build attacks.

But Canter in goal for Weston and the opposition keeper were both in fine form and a string of great saves at either end meant it remained goal-less at the break.

Head coach Gary Blythe held the half-time team talk and Weston came out in the second half looking a lot more organised.

It wasn’t long before a lovely one-touch passing move involving seven Weston players was finished expertly by Thorne. Soon after, Slater produced a peach of a rear stick cross and Thorne was left unmarked to tap in his second of the day.

Thorne completed his first-ever hat-trick for Weston soon after when Beer’s shot from the top of the D was saved and Thorne was alert to the rebound to finish from close range.

Westcott was unlucky not to set up a goal when he went on a mazy run past five defenders and sent a lovely pass inside to Beer, but the prolific forward saw his shot saved once again by the excellent keeper.

Weston then added a fourth when another good patient build-up from the home team saw the ball find Patrick and his quick slap shot deceived the keeper.

The Mercedes Benz man of the match award was shared between Westcott and George Davies.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus