Ben just misses out on bronze medal
Cheddar student Ben Attwood just missed out on a bronze medal at the Under-21 British Judo Championships held in Sheffield.
BEN Attwood, aged 17, who attends Kings Academy, Cheddar, just missed out on a medal in the Under-21 British Judo Championships held in Sheffield.
Ben’s U60kg category is one of the most competitive groups of the event and after a comfortable victory in the first round, Ben faced the current British champion, who defeated him and went on to win the event again.
This gave Ben the task of competing in the repecharge for the bronze medal. His next fight was against a fighter he has never beaten before, but Ben changed this, after a gruelling contest to take victory.
After winning the next round, Ben faced the Scottish number one for the bronze medal. With nothing separate the two fighters, one lapse of concentration and Ben was defeated with seconds left on the clock.
You may also want to watch:
This was a tremendous performance from Ben, who has years left in this category. Apart from a fifth place, this also puts Ben fifth in the GB ranking tables at junior level.
The Attwood Brothers next compete at the Midland Area age band competition on February 2.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 'Bright future' for Weston high street
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 7 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 8 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 9 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 10 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown