Black belts for kickboxers
Two students from Weston Dragons Kickboxing Club are the first to be awarded their Black Belts.
TWO students from Weston Dragons Kickboxing Club are the first to be awarded their Black Belts.
Sarah Ford and Karen Prescott, who train under Sensei Michael Ford, were put through their paces by a panel of black belts, including a Kru, Sensei, Master and Grand Master, each one an expert in several different styles of martial arts.
The girls were grilled on their knowledge of the martial arts and had to submit an essay on what it meant to them to become a black belt. That was before the four hour physical and practical part of the grading.
Sarah and Karen’s ability to display demanding combinations, techniques, and drills was scrutinised closely as they were pushed to their physical and mental limits.
You may also want to watch:
To finish off, the girls were expected to spar for several rounds with members of the panel. Determined to succeed and complete the grading, both girls encouraged each other to the end.
Master Kevin Ludick from Combat Gym who hosted and oversaw the grading was particularly impressed with the girl’s courage and determination. Sensei Michael Ford was also proud of his new Black Belts.
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 3 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 4 Christmas panto cancelled due to tier three restrictions
- 5 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 6 Hospital trust defends patient-to-nurses ratio increase
- 7 Weston shop offering personalised fudge gift boxes
- 8 Airport to receive £8million grant to 'protect jobs'
- 9 Mural nears completion in Weston
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
He said: “Karen has been training with me for just over three years and Sarah for over six years. Both have in grown in confidence, self-belief and overcome personal difficulties to achieve their goals.”
For further information about Weston Dragon Kickboxing Club @ Combat Gym, please contact Sensei Michael on 07956 110008.